• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Really Discouraged . . .

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
After installing the new squirrel cage for my heater fan, I installed the new unit today. It was a bit of a pain to put in, but I got the thing mounted. However, it won't run. I hooked it up to power, just as I'd tested it, but it won't run and I don't know why.

Worse, when I set the blower back onto its pedestal mount, I discovered, to my absolute dismay, that the back end of the supercharger intake tube STILL contacts the much narrower fan motor. I can't get the pulleys to line up this way.

Anybody want to buy a blower . . ?

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I figured out why the fan isn't working. I had a problem with the ground. Once I took care of that, the fan roared to life. The speed control is essentially worthless though, as this fan motor is designed to operate with a controller (which is expensive), so I get "all or nothing" when it's running.

Because I had to mount the fan upside down, it's not moving very much air. I took it out again. I'll have to cut the center section out so that air can get inside the fan blades.

It's rather noisy, though. I'm not sure if that's because the fan motor is so much larger than stock, and it's not terribly well mounted, or whether it's simply not well balanced.

Even with the wiring fixed, though, I don't know what I'm going to do about the supercharger contacting the fan motor. Taking that heater shroud off is nigh well impossible because the fender is in the way, but I may have to figure out how to remove it and cut it down so that the supercharger intake clears.

Ugh! It's one thing after another!!!

Last edited:

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
well i know how the "one thing after another" is. iv been there and done that alot. although u may get discouraged, dont give up. i wanna see some pics of it and maybe i can give some tips. other than that just keep workin on it ull figure it out.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I will have to drill through the top of my squirrel cage in order to provide air access. I'll do the geometry tonight and punch some indentations into the aluminum so I can tip the fan to the side and drill though the material without getting any shavings into the motor.

I'm determined to remove the fan shroud, too. If I can cut a section out of its center, I should be able to expoy the front of the fan shroud (where the heater fan mounts) back about an inch or so. The fan I've got is shorter than the stock Ford unit, so I should be able to get away with doing this. Getting a straight cut is going to be a problem, though. I don't own a band saw . . .

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
have to love custom fabrication!! the defenition of universal is means will work on anything w/ the right amount of cutting, drilling, duct taping and any other forms of rigging possible, then after its functional hopefully it looks good...lol. dont give up, your way too far into the belly of the beast to pitch it to the curb.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
yea keep us updated on your progress.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
A friend of mine suggested that I mount the fan remotely and connect it with a bit of flex hose. I may have to go that route.

Right now I have NO motivation to work on the truck. It's strictly "off road" at the moment . . . However, I may have some time this afternoon to get some work done. I'll keep the forum updated on my "progress."

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i know the feeling. sometimes you just want to pour gas on the thing and throw a match at it.

try to let it cool off.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I tried removing the fan housing so I could cut a section out of its center and thereby move the heater fan closer to the firewall, where it would clear the blower intake tube.

Unfortunately, there is ONE nearly inaccessible bolt / nut combination that I can't remove. It's on the back side of the inner fender, beneath the fan housing. I've managed to work the nut to the very end of the bolt, but it's stuck on there and the bolt is simply turning. Without a way to hold the bolt head, I could be spinning the dumb thing with a wrench forever and it would never come off.

I'm going to have to put the fan shroud back together and mount the fan remotely. I just don't see any other way of making this work.

Whatever happened to all that room I started with??? :dunno:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I hate reading about all the hassles you're running into with this. It's one of the more interesting projects around TRS in years. Wish there was something I could do to help.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I hate reading about all the hassles you're running into with this. It's one of the more interesting projects around TRS in years. Wish there was something I could do to help.
I appreciate your support. To be honest, I'd run the truck without a heater fan just to get it back on the road. However, we've got snow on the ground AGAIN, and I really need the heater and defog to work!

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
id like to help you, do you have pics of your engine bay? to be honest im almost leaning on supering my trk to add a few ponies but want to see how it looks b4 i attempt. b4 others scream go turbo i want to try something dif if i do attempt, but this heater fan issue is mind boggling, if i could see whats going on i might be able to give you an idea. personally i think (which i dont know i havent looked at your setup) from looking under my hood if you have your air coming in from elsewhere from the motor id put your heater fan in where the stock airbox is and run a hose from the blower housing to the heater "manifold" and shave it back some somehow. just a random thought worth looking into but cant really tell whats going on unless my eyes are upon the subject... btw im a proud new owner of a 92 2wd 2.3 m50d, this is the trk id consider supering.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've posted this photo before, but it will give you an idea:

The problem is in the back, on the LH side. You can see the switch for my wide band O2 controller on top of the heater fan shroud. What you CAN'T see, is that the intake tube for the blower, which is right beneath the mandrel-bent tubing on the LH side, is literally resting on the heater fan motor. I had to sandwich a piece of rubber inbetween the blower and the heater fan in order to prevent arcing!

I have no stock air box anymore--that was one of the first things that had to go! In essence, the intake tube from the supercharger is rubbing against the heater fan. That's where all my vibration and alignment problems are coming from.

Last edited:

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
thats looks amazing. do u have ur header running underneath the supercharger? how is it mounted? is there any way u can move the blower forward to make room for the fan motor? hmmmm :icon_confused:

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thats looks amazing. do u have ur header running underneath the supercharger?
Yes.

how is it mounted?
It's on a pedestal that bolts to the engine mount, the header itself and the A/C pad on the other side of the engine.

is there any way u can move the blower forward to make room for the fan motor? hmmmm :icon_confused:
No. If the blower moves forward, it will not align with the other pulleys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals