• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Realistic expectations at 100 yards with a .22lr?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
and Toolman would have said more pow were

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I've seen a video of a Taurus Judge exploding when a guy went to shoot it, and I've heard of it happening other times too. I couldn't find the video on the internet anymore.

If I wanted a .410/45long Revolver I would go for the S&W Governor, also holds 6 rounds instead of 5 plus comes with moon clips to used .45acp.
I have an old Judge and I can assure you that it has never exploded. It's been shot an awful lot and was not taken care of before I got it. I think it's really a great gun to carry in the field, it's not nice enough to worry about getting scuffed up or dropped and has plenty of stopping power when loaded with 45 Colt... or will tear up a snake with 410 bird shot.

Unfortunately for most, 410 and 45 Colt are expensive ammo. I reload both for almost nothing but obviously not everyone is set up for that. Too bad, they are both excellent rounds.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have an old Judge and I can assure you that it has never exploded. It's been shot an awful lot and was not taken care of before I got it. I think it's really a great gun to carry in the field, it's not nice enough to worry about getting scuffed up or dropped and has plenty of stopping power when loaded with 45 Colt... or will tear up a snake with 410 bird shot.

Unfortunately for most, 410 and 45 Colt are expensive ammo. I reload both for almost nothing but obviously not everyone is set up for that. Too bad, they are both excellent rounds.

From the the incidents I've heard of it always seemed like it was within the first couple of rounds that people had issues with them. Poor QA on the assembly line, not necessarily any issues with inferior quality materials. The incidents I seen were also years ago.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
From the the incidents I've heard of it always seemed like it was within the first couple of rounds that people had issues with them. Poor QA on the assembly line, not necessarily any issues with inferior quality materials. The incidents I seen were also years ago.
I always wondered about the cylinder gap on the judge. I'm not a gun expert by any means but I'd be inclined to think you'd need an extremely tight gap when shooting .410. If that gap isn't dead on the shot could start to spread before entering the barrel. Which would be bad... :dunno:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I had read that Taurus had cylinder timing issues with some of their revolvers, including the Judge. It's not so much the gap between the barrel and cylinder, it's an issue of the cylinder not being perfectly aligned with the barrel... or just sloppy. #1 test for buying any revolver, especially used ones, is to cock the hammer back and try to rotate the cylinder. Any large amount of movement there is not good.

FWIW my Judge does have some slop there, not what I would consider "a lot" but more than I think it should have. It always sends lead downrange though so I'm not going to worry about it.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
This is like a campfire conversation, quickly drifting all over. I would say 3" at 100yds with a 22LR is decent. I don't think any of mine could do better.

On the subject of .410s, I was looking for some ammo so my son could shoot trap with it. We have a youth gun that's great for getting them used to the process without worrying about recoil at all. At least around me, they have even removed the tags from the shelves for .410. Absolutely nothing available. After weeks of fruitless hunting for those, I bought a 20 gauge SA for him to shoot. With trap loads, a 20 gauge SA's recoil is very manageable. Guess what? No 20 gauge trap loads to be found. I've been through a few ammo shortages, but never have I not been able to find shotgun shells. Usually it's the popular rifle & handgun rounds that get scarce. I can go to the store and reliably find decent quantities of 9mm, 45ACP, 5.56/223, etc. but shotshells are a total gamble.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Amen @bilbo

I have not seen a single box of target loads or game loads from any maker for any size shotgun in over a year. I usually check on a regular basis.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
OK... back on topic. I don't know about y'alls .22s but I would expect groups of an inch or less easily with quality ammo, a barrel in good condition, and an experienced trigger puller. Remove or reduce any of those parts of the equation and accuracy falls off. 100 yards is really just not that far.

I have had a bunch of 22s and Marlins are my favorite for off the shelf accuracy. Currently have a 795 for plinking/small game, I had a 7000 as well (same gun with a target barrel) that I had planned to build into a target rifle but I ran across a super cool Ruger 10/22 instead. It was already set up with a Boyd's stock and a Magnum Lite barrel, I just added a scope and bipod. Still working on getting it dialed in but it's a very fun rifle (and very light!)

Also had a Remington 597 years ago. Very accurate rifle but it would jam up regardless of ammo type and the mags were junk so I traded it off.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm with you @Shran, I shot the tacks off the target at 25yds with my BLR .22 & 4x Browning scope.

Then my father passed away and guns went to relatives with FALs.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My shots are falling left to right within less than an inch but up and down is what's all over the place. Makes no difference if I shoot on the bench rest or not so it can't be entirely my crappy shooting. Good news is after cleaning the gun is cycling any ammo I stick in it without issue. I think the CCI mini mag was actually more accurate than this federal match stuff. It's too hot to keep fiddling. I also have no idea what range this scopes parallax is set for (not adjustable) and there is definitely some movement of the reticle on the target when I move my head around so I'm gonna try to set targets every 25 yards to see where it's adjusted to. For the moment I'm blaming the scope... :ROFLMAO:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
And I just found a screw missing from the bottom of the stock... That uhhh might be a problem... After grabbing it I realized the stock is not at all tight to the barrel/action.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I tried hitting the gong at 300yrds with my Henry and a buddies 10/22. One guy with a spotter scope, they other guy aiming at the top of the trees to compensate for drop.

We may have hit it, but it was so hard to tell because they seemed to loose most of their momentum at that distance. lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals