• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RBV 98-2003 Fog Lamps W/High Beams ON

1999-Intruder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
Here is the fix for Fog Lamps ON with high beams for 98-2003 RBV's. This will keep your fog lamps on while you drive with high beams on for any ranger based vehicle between the years of 1998-2003.

Original Poster: 1999-Intruder

Difficulty: 1 of 10

Time to Install: 10 min

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: This modification allow the use of fog lamps while the high beams are on. It requires almost no tools and very little time to do, plus no need to cut your wire harness or dig around under the dashboard. Best of all, it can be put back the way it was.

Tools needed: A pair of pliers (needle nose), 2 toothpicks, fingernail polish and a rag.

Step 1: Open the hood and locate the PDB (power distribution box). Open the PDB by squeezing the latch on the fender side of the box and flip the door over to the engine side. Good you have just completed step 1. :)

Step 2: Stuff a rag behind the PDB against the firewall of the truck. This is because when pulling the relay out, you may drop it and it will slide down the inner fender panel and disappear. You will spend several hours scratching your arm up getting the bloody thing back out.

Step 3: Pull the relay corresponding to your fog lamp controller, which in this vehicles case (1999-Ford Ranger) is the small rectangular relay farthest back in the PDB. (Shown below)

Doing the next few steps seated will be much easier, so take the relay inside and sit at a table with plenty of light.

Step 4: Remove the cover of the relay by using two toothpicks to GENTLY pry the side away from the base as shown in the picture. This will free the clips that hold the cover on. Grab the center blade pin with a pair of pliers very well, and grasp the outer plastic cover with your other hand. Give a tug and the relay will separate from its housing.

Step 5: You will see there is a large coil of wire inside, this is what needs to be modified in order to allow the functioning of the fog lamps while the high beams are engaged. Using one of the toothpicks reach inside behind the silver pin (below shown with toothpick), and find the wire that goes to this pin from the coil. Break the wire and bring in out to the side.

Step 6: With the wire lying against the coil (very hard to see, it is so tiny), put finger nail polish on it to seal it and keep it in place. This will insulate it electrically. Shown here in Red is the wire broken and glued in place with cheap red nail polish.

Step 7: Wait for the nail polish to dry, and then snap the outer cover back on. It will only go on one way so don’t force it if it doesn’t go. Just take it back off and rotate it, and reinstall the cover.

Step 8: Now reinstall the relay into your vehicle and test your fog lamps. Now you can drive with fog lamps on even when the High beams are also on. ENJOY the success!!!

another method for doing this but not recommended. After doing some research into it, you can break either tab 1 or tab 2 off of the relay. These are the narrow tabs in the cluster of three at one end of the relay. If you break off one of the outer tabs this will also accomplish the same task. However there is a greater risk of actually breaking the relay base by doing this and potentially causing the relay to get stuck in the socket on your truck when pulling it out. So if one is careful they can pull this trick off as well.

But again TRS and I are not responsible for any damage caused by doing either of these modifications, nor is Mrjonesjr.

Attachments

Last edited:

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
1. That wont work on '95-'97.

2. There is an easier way of just breaking off on of the tabs on the relay.

1999-Intruder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual

1. That wont work on '95-'97.

2. There is an easier way of just breaking off on of the tabs on the relay.
I was unaware that the fuse box was different on the 95-97 from the 99 on. I will modify this to reflect that, thank you. However; just breaking off the tab does not work for me as it is possible to break the entire relay while doing this and two, as an electrical engineer I would not trust that the tab is far enough away from contact unless it was at the surface of the relay and I was able to see how far away from the contact of the PDB it was. But yes this is also a possibility.

Besides this allows people to do this without really any tools. everyone has toothpicks and should have a pair of pliers, and you can steal your girlfriend's/wife's nail polish, unless of course a girl is accomplishing this, in which case its her own nail polish so she doesn't need to steal it :haha: but yes you do have a point.

Last edited:

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
1. Can you also post it in the forum as a post? That will allow us to use it in the tech library.

2. When/If you post it in the forum as a post, can you do it following the Instructions at the top of the submission forum on how to post a how-to?

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You need to host your pictures on a site like www.photobucket.com and then post them on the forum.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just modify the original post.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals