• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rattling under the hood?!?!?!?!

msabernathy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2004 XLT 4x4 with an auto tranny. When I accellerate I hear a rattling noise that sounds like it's coming from under the hood. I don't know what it is (sounds like loose metal rattling, or something similar) but my 1993 Explorer had the same thing.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this noise, and suggestions on what to do about it?

Thanks in advance
Matt

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Detonation?

It's notoriously difficult to diagnose noises over the Net. You really need a mechanic in the vehicle.

msabernathy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I totally agree...I just wanted to see if it was something that might be common, since I had a similar noise on my explorer, thought it might be something on RBVs.

Thanks

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had a problem like that and it turned out to be my EGR tube!

When the rpm's would hit about 3500-4500 it would rattle. I would play around with it and punch the throttle and then let off. I could'nt figure it out for about what seemed like 2 years.

While replacing my valve cover gasket I noticed the tube loose and it's been quiet ever since. Not sure that's your problem but worth a look.

Allen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals