• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rattle at higher RPMs. Chain?

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
89 2.9l 4x4
85K miles (I think)
Not referring to basic low speed/rpm ticking. Yep I have some ticking, but it’s steadily improved as I’ve been working on lots of stuff over time.
But since the engine is now quieter and I can hear subtle sounds, and also since I can comfortably drive it at higher speeds of say 55-60, I’ve started to get concerned about a particular sound I’m hearing when the engine is pushing higher RPMs like 2600 ish and up, especially during long up-hills. So I back off the throttle and cruise uphill at 35-40 to be safe and it sorta goes away. But going back down hill it goes completely away, so it seems that it’s caused by being under heavy load.
It sounds kind of like a tambourine would sound, if you only had one or two discs of metal on it instead of a few dozen. So, like a piece of metal shaking. It’s not louder than the ticking, so it doesn’t sound like immediate doom, but it doesn’t sound healthy.
Does the 2.9L even have a timing chain that is serviceable? Or is it one that needs to just be replaced and that’s it?
Or could this just be exacerbated lifter ticking?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The timing chain on a 2.9 is replaceable but as it's not a over head cam engine it's just a very short chain with 2 gears and no tensioner. They do not wear out very often, not that they can't but they can often last for the life of the motor.

As I'm sure you are aware 2.9's have notoriously noisy lifters though so that would be my first assumption. But it could also be a bunch of other stuff like an exhaust leak, a cracked flexplate, a broken cat shell, since it happens at high rpm under load it could also be the engine pinging/detonating. It's pretty much impossible to diagnose a noise over the internet.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
I'm leaning towards it being the lifters just behaving even worse under the more intense workload. It sounds like it's coming from the same place in the engine as the more basic lifter noise.
Cat is new, exhaust is almost all new. Never looked into the flex plate so have no idea about that so will do some homework.
As for the lifters being the cause, it makes me want to just open up the top end and at least take a look at things. I don't really know how lifters are structured but under high speeds it sounds like one or two of them are loose, like a segment that is supposed to be securely bolted is a little bit loose and rattles a little bit under high pace workloads. And since the lifters already make some noise, I would like to at least look at the culprits to see if there's anything obvious to be corrected in general.
Is lifter inspection a matter of just popping covers off and visually checking things out? Maybe removing some tubes above it to get access?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
To inspect the lifters you need to remove the valve covers and intake manifold. Then remove the rocker arms and pushrods to pull the lifters out of the valley. The famous 2.9 tick comes from a few problems, it's a flat tappet cam that just wears poorly, oil issues that cause the lifters to fail to "pump up" leaving the valves loose, and the need to periodically adjust the valves. I would pick yourself up a Haynes manual, or a dedicated 2.9 engine manual and read up before taking anything apart. Doing an engine flush and adding ZDDP to the oil can help quiet down the noise in some cases though. But at the end of the day 2.9's just have noisy valve trains... The sky is blue, farts stink, 2.9's tick...

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
To inspect the lifters you need to remove the valve covers and intake manifold. Then remove the rocker arms and pushrods to pull the lifters out of the valley. The famous 2.9 tick comes from a few problems, it's a flat tappet cam that just wears poorly, oil issues that cause the lifters to fail to "pump up" leaving the valves loose, and the need to periodically adjust the valves. I would pick yourself up a Haynes manual, or a dedicated 2.9 engine manual and read up before taking anything apart. Doing an engine flush and adding ZDDP to the oil can help quiet down the noise in some cases though. But at the end of the day 2.9's just have noisy valve trains... The sky is blue, farts stink, 2.9's tick...
Agreed!
I’m not here to start the 16268th thread about ticking 2.9 lifters, nor look for new additives. ( I did do a flush and it was risky but worked out well ) I’m just trying to gauge if the tambourine sound at high rpm could be something more severe than ticking that will suddenly just pop and kill my engine or me.
I think I’ll soon dedicate a day to take this stuff off the top and at least see if anything appears crazy. I have the Haynes and always follow it !

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I had a rattle between 2500 and 3000 RPMs. Swore it was lifters. Turned out I was missing a bolt on the thin metal backing plate between the tranny and engine.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
I had a rattle between 2500 and 3000 RPMs. Swore it was lifters. Turned out I was missing a bolt on the thin metal backing plate between the tranny and engine.
Is this plate visible from underneath? Easily inspected?

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Is this plate visible from underneath? Easily inspected?
Yep, look between the engine and tranny by the starter. It was missing one of the bottom bolts. Its a long shot you have the same trouble, but worth a look. The plate looks like this:
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Yep, look between the engine and tranny by the starter. It was missing one of the bottom bolts. Its a long shot you have the same trouble, but worth a look. The plate looks like this:
View attachment 62446
Well what’s intriguing is that some ticking noise definitely seems to come from underneath too. Stepping outside the truck and peering under, there is a metallic light banging sound a lot of the time. I’m going to inspect this ASAP.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
89-4x4,

If you don't resolve your noise source on that spacer plate, pop of the valve covers, discover how incredibly filthy and laden with soot and sludge.

Completely clean and inspect:

-valve covers
-rockers
-push rods
-rockers arm shafts (especially inside)

If determined 100% serviceable;

-increase the size of the oiling holes in the rocker arm shafts and rockers

Follow the lifter preload installation instructions while reinstalling the upper valve train then report your findings ..)

No matter what, all these procedures should be done and will yield improvements while possibly resolving your noise.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
View attachment 62446
So i've finally inspected this spot and found that the thin flexible plate does seem to separate around 1/8" for a whole lower section. Pics below. First one clearly shows the gap.
I'm confused what the purpose of the thin plate is though, at least in this section of it. I thought i had discovered a wide open problem but in fact i saw that there's already a huge curve shaped gap in the thin plate piece just above it (shown in other pics), so it can't possibly be sealing something right there. Or is it?
My plate doesn't appear to have the same shape as the one pictured by ECGREEN. Mine has that curved gap.
It's tough to tell if screws are missing and this is a problem, or if the plate is just sorta old and bent but this has no impact on anything.
I've recently started noticing kind of a fuzzing / spitting sound from underneath in this area but that could be because i've quieted so much other clammer in recent months. Maybe this loose thin plate is simply vibrating causing the spitty sound, or maybe they have nothing to do with each other.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I believe we are addressing the proverbial "dust" cover. Yours was out of shape when installed and left uncorrected. It is not a sealed surface, just keeping out unwanted stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals