• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ranger wont run... no power

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
ok so the story goes like this, I have a 98 2.5 ranger, 146k on the clock, driving on the freeway, the timing belt snapped. towed it to a buddy's place and replaced the water pump and timing belt.

recent work done to it before the timing belt, new autolite copper plugs about 300 miles ago with new wires, new serpentine belt done at same time. air filter changed about 1000 miles ago, and recently blew all the dust and dirt out of it.

truck started and drove about 100 miles after I did the timing belt, then as I was getting home I noticed it was losing power going up hills, started getting worse and worse. the harder I pushed the pedal the more power it lost, but at lower rpms it was almost normal.

went to drive to work the next day and it started fine, about 5 minutes later after I drove about a block, it lost all power and began running like crap, wouldnt idle, no power at all. after letting it sit, it would start up just fine. then as it warmed up it would do the same thing again. holding it on the floor would kinda keep it running like shown in this video. checked fuel pressure, and its steady at 68-70 psi, even while running like crap.

idk where to start. there are no check engine lights. could really use some help, need this thing to run to get to work :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vn1CUuFeO4

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can you hear a slapping sound from timing belt cover, just wondering if tensioner has loosened up.

Did you use the CKP(crank position) sensor alignment tool when reinstalling it after timing belt.
It is often not used with no problems, but............CKP sensor sets base spark timing, if it is off or has moved, you would get what you describe, OK idle but low power as RPMs increase and spark advance is wrong.
There would be no CEL since CKP is working but isn't right.

The CPS(cam position sensor) is for sequential fuel injection but also used for spark advance, it "reads" the oil pump gear to determine Cam position.

Assuming this current problem has nothing to do with recent work, then I would suspect clogged exhaust system, or dirty fuel filter.
Fuel Pressure is just from the pump and the system being sealed, so it holds pressure.
Fuel Flow is another thing, if you have a pressure gauge hook it up and try to get engine RPMs up to 2,000 and hold it there and watch gauge, if pressure starts to drop replace filter, flow is restricted.
Idle would be fine but power would drop off as fuel load increased.

If exhaust system is restricted, collapsed cat or muffler, then as exhaust pressure builds new fuel/air mix can not come in, so power drops.
Idle would be fine but as RPMs went up power would drop off.
Vacuum gauge can test for this, or just have some one try to rev engine while you feel tail pipe.

97LowRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 L
Transmission
Manual
Clean MAF? check it sounds like it could be the problem i worked on an F150 that couldn't idle because it was so bad

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
I have never messed with vacuum gauges or testing vacuum stuff. So what do I need to do to test to see if the exhaust is restricted? How do I adjust the cps?

I'll clean the maf tomorrow too.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Vacuum gauge runs about $25, and is one of the better tools to have in the box.

Good read here: http://www.gregsengine.com/using-a-vacuum-gauge.html
thanks so much for the help ron, so today I picked up a vacuum gauge and hooked it up to a line going into the intake, when running at an idle it shows the vacuum around 17, as the throttle is increased I lose vacuum all the way till its basically 0 then as the motor dies, I took 2 videos to show the gauge.

the first video is a cold start. hasnt started in about 24 hours. I then gave it throttle and the vacuum decreased, and then you can start to hear the motor choking and then as I increase throttle it sounds different. then it died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flLzJsb9hPo

looked through vacuum lines and found a leak, so I took a 3rd video, and its a bit more stable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF57XBTTz2A

second video is starting it immediately again after it died. no throttle was applied thats just the truck trying to idle, then I applied throttle about 30 seconds in and vacuum decreases again and motor runs a little better about 40 seconds in it starts to lean out and I pointed the camera at the intake so you can hear the air box making the weird noise that almost sounds like an exhaust. at that point there is almost no vacuum and then as it starts to die the vacuuum gets very bouncy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ned_MhdnNNU

so reading that thread that you linked it looks to me like vacuum should increase so maybe i have something plugging the exhaust? that seams to make sense to me, as I apply more throttle and the truck wants to get more exhaust out the truck builds up back pressure and suffocates...

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yup, reads like a clogged exhaust to me as well.

You can often tap on Cats and Mufflers and listen for rattling inside to find the collapsed part, they shouldn't rattle.

An old(well not that old) mechanics trick was to remove the O2 sensor and start engine, if RPMs and/or Vacuum gauge start working then it is a clog some where in exhaust system.
Yes it will be LOUD, lol, but open O2 sensor hole relieves pressure for testing

Last edited:

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
yeah thats what I was thinking too about the 02 sensor, Ill see if I cant break it loose. I pulled the exhaust off at the flange just to make sure it wasnt the muffler. no change.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Vacuum at idle should be between 18 and 20 inches. And as you open the throttle the vacuum will go down normally, but if you crack the throttle and hold the rpm at 2000 it will usually have more vac than at idle.

Probably is a clogged cat, a loud but easy way to check is un hook the exhaust at the manifold, if it runs fine, replace the cat.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Yep that's the next step. If it's not raining or dark when I get home I'll check it out.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
well I pulled the plugs and they looked to be fine, maybe a little black on the tip but definitely not fouled. havent had a chance to get the o2 sensor out yet, the weather has been foul and Im packing up to move...

stateranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did the exhaust sound very quiet? I posted a video of my truck with a plugged and unplugged exhaust in your thread on Ford ranger forum, I didn't get anything near what your getting.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Pulled the exhaust at the manifold. It wasn't a clogged cat. I think the next step is pull the timing cover and see if everything is still good. If it is I don't know where to go from there.

stateranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you notice anything off? I still have the feeling that the crank sensor is malfunctioning.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Nothing yet. Double checked timing and the timing is good. Not really sure how to go about checking the sensor besides swapping a new one in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals