• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger will not idle right, tried everything.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
87 Ranger with a 2.9
I have tried everything I can think of the track down the idle issue with this truck. It ran like crap when I got it and it runs over 100 times better now. I have replaced the TPS, idle air valve, modulator, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timed it, replaced vacuum lines, pulled and cleaned the air plenum, deleted the cats, and repaired numerous wiring issues. I sprayed two cans of brake cleaner all around the engine compartment and no vacuum leak was found. I have run a lot of fuel system cleaner through the tank and replaced the fuel filter. However, I have not yet hooked a pressurized fuel system cleaner to the fuel rail yet. I know that really should be done. It idles high sometimes, and when it is not doing that it idles rough. The other issue is it stumbles going uphill. What am I missing? I think it is a fuel issue.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Does yours by any chance have 2 fuel filters? Maybe the one in the can is causing problems if it does?

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I checked, it only has one. I ma buying the parts I need today to make a fuel injector cleaner. I am hoping that will do the job.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
87 Ranger with a 2.9
I have tried everything I can think of the track down the idle issue with this truck. It ran like crap when I got it and it runs over 100 times better now. I have replaced the TPS, idle air valve, modulator, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timed it, replaced vacuum lines, pulled and cleaned the air plenum, deleted the cats, and repaired numerous wiring issues. I sprayed two cans of brake cleaner all around the engine compartment and no vacuum leak was found. I have run a lot of fuel system cleaner through the tank and replaced the fuel filter. However, I have not yet hooked a pressurized fuel system cleaner to the fuel rail yet. I know that really should be done. It idles high sometimes, and when it is not doing that it idles rough. The other issue is it stumbles going uphill. What am I missing? I think it is a fuel issue.
Did you check the fuel pressure regulator? Have you put a fuel pressure gage on it? All swapping parts does is cost money. The egr system will also cause idle issues. Have you ran any codes on the motor?

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I swapped pars I knew to be bad or, I already had on hand. I buddy of mine who has a scanner got some codes but they cleared up after I timed it. I tried to hook up my fuel pressure gauge but it does not fit the schrader valve on the rail.

BrianbroncoIIman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Look thru your throtle body with a flash light engine off if its oil soaked in the upper intake need to clean it or do away with the pcv system like i did to keep the oil out of the intake, other choice is a air to oil seperator installed on your engine but its costly alot cheaper to do away with the pcv system and put two breathers on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
How did you do away with your PCV?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How did you do away with your PCV?
You simply say :thefinger: to the planet and all the people on it and put hoses on both valve cover vents and point them down at the ground so they can drip oil out.

This was the way Blow-by was handled for 60 years.

Can't say I agree with it :)

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, I thought it was similar to the way I did it on my PowerStroke. I do not like the design, I have to look at a more modern engine to see how it is done there. I have not thought of it before.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals