• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger vs. Chevy 1500

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Well, today has been one of those shitty days. I was on my way into town, traveling on the highway when the vehicle in front of me stopped suddenly for a dog in the road. Instantly, I slammed on my brakes to avoid the SUV/trailer in front of me. I slowed from 60mph to 20-25mph. As I let off the brakes and went to select 3rd gear to accelerate, a Full Size Chevy smacked into me traveling at highway speeds. Nobody was hurt, but here's what happens when a Silverado rear ends a Ranger.

Its only a cellphone picture. My truck needs a new bumper/bumper mounts and tailgate (obviously). A tail light, some fiberglass repair on the back corner of the passenger side and new exhaust. I have a rollpan and new tail gate in which I planned on installing in the spring. The frame is true and the driveline is fine. I drove the truck back home.

Here's the Silverado that kissed my truck. I am assuming the truck will be totalled. The driver and passenger were not hurt in the truck. They did, however get ticketed and this truck was loaded onto a flatbed trailer. A broom swept up the broken pieces of plastic/glass. Oil and coolant stained the snow beneath the truck. The engine was pushed up and toward teh driver's side, but the crappy cell phone picture doesn't show detail.

Tonight, I'm going to sit back and have a rum & coke because this week I know will be fun dealing with quotes and insurance companies.

For those of you out there, a Ford Ranger did EXCELLENT in a rear crash test. I was quite amazed.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
Glad to hear everyone came out in one piece.

Looks like his bumper went under yours or something, causing your tailgate and bumber to score a nice hit in his grill. Amazing how "well built" and "tough" these newer trucks are...
________
Stress Forums

Last edited:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah! The classic chevy front end accident. Those things have absolutely nothing to the front end of them. It's surprising they can push snow without folding in the front end.

The fact that the big bad be-all end-all chevy silverado's bumper went underneath the the bumper of an old splash ranger is also quiet telling about just how great those chevy's are!

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I shat bricks. When I looked behind me through the window and seen the Silverado, I was expecting my truck to be a lot worse than it actually was. That Ranger's a good ol' truck. The Silverado did do a good job with safety, because the driver and passenger sustained no injury. But the truck itself is toast. I couldn't believe how much oil and coolant there was on the ground. I didn't look closely at the Chevy, but I think the oil filter or pan was punctured from the engine shifting. But, tommorrow is my Birthday so I think I'm just going to take it easy til Monday. I've never had an accident before so I've never had to deal with insurance companies but being as the other truck was ticketed and the officer clearly stated it was his fault, I should be able to get this fixed with little or no money out of my pocket. I don't believe in sueing or raping the man for cash, but I would like everything back to the way it was.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I have a tailgate and rollpan so that's going on there. I know the owner of a local bodyshop pretty well, and he said he'll fight the insurance company if there are any issues. I'm not in a big hurry to fix the truck as I'd rather have it fixed RIGHT than to have if fixed now. Oh well, we will see.

Here's a quick run over he gave me. Not official, just some prices of aftermarket parts.
-Tailgate (Splash $320 unpainted shell)
-Bumper ($385 painted)
-Bumper Mounts ($35)
-Passenger side Splash Bed (Will be determined fixable or replaceable later)
-Tail lights ($40)
-Exhaust (Undetermined)
-Windshield ($135)

This is the obvious that needs to be fixed. There might be more underneath when Eric does his official estimate.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
if the situation were reversed the same would have happended...chevy probably hardly damaged and ranger destroyed.

the chevy did what it wasa supposed to do...protected its occupants and the poor bastards it was running over.

i got hit so hard in my truck it left the ground aND LANDED in the middle of a huge intersection at oakwood and rotunda where one of the ol proving grounds are, very lucky cross traffic was not moving yet, my sister actually hit me that time and totalled her sploder...my hitch got fubarred....bumper had some paint on it:dunno:....

just be happy that chevy did not have a bumper on it like many of us have...

you would probably be injured.:icon_surprised:

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
just be happy that chevy did not have a bumper on it like many of us have...

you would probably be injured.:icon_surprised:
I agree. i pity the poor guy who hits the front or rear of my b2. welded on c-channel will not give very well. i anticipate the frame will get waves before the channel even tweaks.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Haha, this is true. I know the reason vehicles crumple is to cushion the shock and take the impact instead of our bodies... but visually it is a shame. Anybody have an idea as to what a passenger side Splash Bed would run?

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
DAMN, anyone who says rangers are weak can kiss my ranger's ass anytime...WITH THEIR CHEVROLET!!!!!

But, sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I suppose that insurance will give you a few bucks left over.:icon_twisted:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Call some JY's for prices. Get the tailgate and bumper and the JY. You'll save alot of money that way. When I told my friend who is the painter and body guy I only want original parts. I went from 2,500 bucks down to 1,600. I was told at first I need a new door, but Cosmie said I could get away with using just a door skin and buying a used clean fender had it installed painted and nothing looks different.

I recently went to the JY and bought a chrome rear bumper for a spare for my 94. It is very clean no dents tweaks or nothing, I only paid 70 bucks for it. You can get those expensive parts at the JY for dirt cheap.
I'm not going to purchase a tailgate and bumper. I have a primered tailgate and rollpan in the garage. I was going to wait til it was warmer to paint it but I guess I'll throw it on now.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Here's a funny story for ya. I have an '82 VW Rabbit with the "big" factory bumpers on it. We're talking thick, spring loaded German steel here. i'm leaving work one day and pull into the center lane to merge into traffic. There's a stop light about half a mile down the road in the other direction and people would just fly down the center lane trying to catch the turn signal at the light. So I pull into the middle lane and see a brand-spanking new GMC tow truck barreling towards me at about 30-40 mph. I put the rabbit in neutral, push the brake pedal in as far as it would go and brace myself for the impact. The jackass driving the tow truck finally sees me, locks up his brakes and slides into me doing about 15-20 mph. The rabbit slid backwards about 3-4 ft and the truck stopped on impact. I get out to survey the damage and there isn't even a scratch on my car. I could see where the spring on the bumper had compressed a good 2-3 " or so, but that was it. The GMC, on the other hand, had a nice, big hole punched through his "bumper" and a fubared passenger side fender. He was all like "oh man, my boss is gonna kill me! can I get your insurance info?" and I said "sure, but let's get the cops here first, this was your fault, you know." He said "oh, man!", and I just drove off and left him there.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
i had a little incedent tonight , on my way home , saw a guy in a snow bank , well he had a 2wd dakota , tried to make the turn , and it went straight , front dropped down the embankment a little , and he got no traction , i pulled him out , he didnt hit the brake in time and i felt the impact , i pulled forward , got out , the spot under the taillight on his bed had hit my bumper , no damage to the ranger , but it smashed that little part of his bed in , he said no biggie , he is getting a new truck in two weeks , sorry , no pics

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
i had a little incedent tonight , on my way home , saw a guy in a snow bank , well he had a 2wd dakota , tried to make the turn , and it went straight , front dropped down the embankment a little , and he got no traction , i pulled him out , he didnt hit the brake in time and i felt the impact , i pulled forward , got out , the spot under the taillight on his bed had hit my bumper , no damage to the ranger , but it smashed that little part of his bed in , he said no biggie , he is getting a new truck in two weeks , sorry , no pics
u gotta be careful of that stuff, u could get charged with a hit and run if the guy turns into a a-hole

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
DAMN, anyone who says rangers are weak can kiss my ranger's ass anytime...WITH THEIR CHEVROLET!!!!!

But, sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I suppose that insurance will give you a few bucks left over.:icon_twisted:
If my old Chevy crewcab hit you you wouldn't be in good shape. New trucks are designed to collapse and reduce the G-forces the passengers have to absorb. The worse the truck looks after hitting something as small as a Ranger, the better the passengers in both vehicles will be. An old truck like mine has no self destruction design to save the people in both vehicles. A Ranger driver getting hit in the rear by a vehicle weighing two and a half times as much and without the collapsing front end is going to be Life Flighted.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If my old Chevy crewcab hit you you wouldn't be in good shape. New trucks are designed to collapse and reduce the G-forces the passengers have to absorb. The worse the truck looks after hitting something as small as a Ranger, the better the passengers in both vehicles will be. An old truck like mine has no self destruction design to save the people in both vehicles. A Ranger driver getting hit in the rear by a vehicle weighing two and a half times as much and without the collapsing front end is going to be Life Flighted.

YUP, Volvo has designed in this feature for years, I think the term they use is "crumple zones".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals