• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Transmission

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hello All,

92 Ranger 3.0 RWD truck. I know I will need a transmission from another 3.0. What years will work on my truck. I think it is up to 94 that they used speedometer gear and after went with speed sensor.

Thinking I may try and locate another A4LD and have it rebuilt for the daughters truck.

Thanks
Tim

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Be careful. I looked up your truck and when I was looking for a trans, they ask if it's cable speedo, electronic speedo with splines on the output shaft and electronic speedo without splines on the output shaft.

Not sure what the output spline thing is about, but apparently there are 3 different flavors of automatics during your year with a 3.0. Here's what I found when I picked a cable speedometer.

Transmission Assembly
Ford Ranger
6-183 (3.0L), cable drv speedo
X​
JC
$Call​
Salvage One Used Parts USA-VA(Coeburn) Request_Quote 1-276-467-1070

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Oh Damn. Well guess I pull this 1 and send it to shop. Yes I saw all that when I was at the reman trans page myself so not sure what all that is about the splines on output shaft. I never seen a transmission that did not have splines on output shaft. That's what prompted me to post here to see if anyone has ventured down the same path.

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
WoW! Looks like I can buy a junker truck with manual and convert over cheaper and easier than finding the A4LD for the 3.0.

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Well I found a 95 3.0 5-speed Ranger standard cab for about a 1/4 of price for reman A4LD. Now to see if I can convert my 92 auto over to manual what else will be needed to get speedometer and no CEL.

I think the pcm will work ,but I know I need need driveshaft from manual ext cab RWD truck.

Last edited:

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I managed to climb under my Ranger today. 92 3.0 RWD Automatic,
I found the solenoid pack plug disconnected did not do any testing as it started sprinkling rain. Can someone tell me what the electrical wires are for on the rear of transmission where speedometer cable goes into transmission. The wires are going into a small square box/connector that is heavily taped onto the speedometer cable.
What caused all this interest in the transmission is I pulled codes and had KOEO codes all I got were 566 3-4 Shift solenoid circuit fault and 629 Torque converter solenoid circuit fault or lockup solenoid circuit fault.

After I test the connector for the shift solenoids and ohm the solenoids I am hoping being disconnected is why I had the 566 and 629 codes.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking at this whole topic, I'm not familiar with these '92 speedometer/output spline differences, but car-part.com asks the same question for '93. I was under the impression than '93/'94 should be basically interchangeable, and '94 only has one configuration.

In any event, the same gear-driven speed sensor is used across the '94/'95 cable/electronic speedometer divide. Even on the earlier cable-driven speedos, it also generates an electronic speed signal, and the wires are connected to the PCM.

Per the manual, the PCM uses the speed signal for shift control, specifically bidirectionally between 3-4, (EDIT: Ignore this; per "Even More A4LD Information" this is '94-only) and for torque converter lockup.

Expected EEC-IV code for signal loss is 452, "Insufficient Input From Vehicle Speed Sensor To PCM".

The plugs at the front of the trans being disconnected makes more sense for your codes. IIRC, those are the codes the auto computer returns perpetually after a manual swap (well, 627, but that's just a different version of 629).

Last edited:

toolman60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I figured it was VSS for the pcm. It just does not help in locating a reman transmission. Maybe I will get a chance next few days I can get the solenoid pack plugged back in and see if that will take care of the 566 an 629.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals