• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Transmision Trouble Shifting

CATillery

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 1994 ranger 3.0 2wd with an automatic transmision. the truck was bought used and is claimed to have a new engine. The engine runs great but the transmision hasnt been taken care of and hasnt had new oil. Normally i would want to change the oil but im afraid if i do the transmision will lock up. The problem im having is the transmision is slow to respond to the engine and doesnt change gears smoothly. The worst of the problems are around 35-45 mph where the transmision jumps back and forth between gears and doesnt stop until you pass 45 mph.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Getting the fluid changed may well help your issue. It will not make the trans "lock up".

What can happen, if you have real serious problems is that the new fluid can clean out deposits that are helping to hold failing seals, which can make a trans slip, or loose a gear. If that happens the trans was not going to last much longer anyway.

It sounds to me like there may be a valve sticking in your valve body. A proper flush, even if it's done through the dipstick tube, should help with that.

I honestly believe that in many many cases transmissions services were sold as the cheaper "let's try this first" repair option and didn't fix it, so then the customer goes and blames a pre-existing problem on the flush, and this is a big part of where the idea that trans flushes destroy transmissions comes from.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, +1 ^^^^

People often don't service something until they think there may be a problem.
Then they blame the servicing if problem isn't solved or makes things worse.

Get trans flushed and serviced.
Or shop around for rebuild exchange, 22 year old trans is over due so probably been rebuilt before

Last edited:

CATillery

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, ill give it a try. But i haven't had this truck forever since i just bought it a year ago and it already had the problems when i got it. It just seems to be getting more of a problem.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How long you have had the truck isn't really relevant to repairs.
22 years old will require repairs on anything with as many moving parts as a car/truck.

Rangers are actually more reliable than most when they get older, simple design, which is why you still see 1980's Rangers on the road.

But you WILL absolutely have problems with a vehicle over 15years old, some have them at 5 years old, lol.

So budget some money each month for repairs and keep it until needed.

Or buy new(er) vehicle with warranty and have forced monthly payment(car payment).

Both options have up and down sides.

Older is often cheaper if you can do most of the work yourself.
Newer is better if you can't

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals