• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger to Explorer radiator post, find it please

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Got up to a cracked radiator this morning. I do recall a post for upgrading to the Explorer unit, but I can't find it. Explorer or not just need the info on going to a better unit that my single core. This will be great for my next move with this truck

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
97-01 Explorer radiators will work. There are some minor differences between the Explorer radiators (I see an extra tab for mounting with the rad from the 5.0 Explorer), but I'm not sure that they would pose a problem for anybody putting one into a Ranger.
For comparison's sake:
2001 Ranger 3.0

2000 Explorer V6/AWD

The side tanks/all of the mounting points and inlets/outlets look the same to me. The only difference that I see is that the Explorer rad core is twice the thickness.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
You guys never let a man down!!!!! Thanks STmitch

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Did you install the larger one and did it drop right in? I have a 92 3.0 and need a new radiator as well.

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Your 92 3.0 does have that option for a 2 row radiator. The 91-94 3.0 rangers can use a 2 row radiator from a 91-94 4.0 explorer or ranger. My 94 3.0 5spd has a 2 row for a 94 4.0 explorer, and it fit right in no modifications. Both radiator hoses lined up, the only difference is the fan shroud. A 1 row radiator fan shroud will not fit onto a 2 row radiator. You will need that part. You can find them on most 91-94 4.0 explorers and 92-94 4.0 rangers at the junkyards.

I have used a 2 row on my ranger for 20-23 years now. Here are a few pictures of mine. After the swap the fan blade fit along more snug into the bigger shroud.

Attachments

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Your 92 3.0 does have that option for a 2 row radiator. The 91-94 3.0 rangers can use a 2 row radiator from a 91-94 4.0 explorer or ranger. My 94 3.0 5spd has a 2 row for a 94 4.0 explorer, and it fit right in no modifications. Both radiator hoses lined up, the only difference is the fan shroud. A 1 row radiator fan shroud will not fit onto a 2 row radiator. You will need that part. You can find them on most 91-94 4.0 explorers and 92-94 4.0 rangers at the junkyards.

I have used a 2 row on my ranger for 20-23 years now. Here are a few pictures of mine. After the swap the fan blade fit along more snug into the bigger shroud.
Thanks, my shroud is not stock, I can make that work.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I have installed the C2309 AutoZone unit, No issues, slipped right in. I have a custom elec fan, no issues there either. No more leaks and seems to stay a little cooler. it definitely recovers quicker when I run it hard.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
85 to 94 Ranger/B2/Explorer are more or less interchangeable FWIW, assuming of course all V6 trucks. They all physically fit in the same area. If you're going with something other than an exact replacement though you may have issues with the shroud and/or radiator hoses, sometimes you have to swap those in too. I would consider the radiator, shroud and hoses to be a matched set that is best installed all at once.

robotzombies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
33"
I just did this about a week or two ago because my reservoir was constantly empty (assuming there was a coolant leak somewhere that I couldn't find). Just for future reference, I was using this thread to figure everything out: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/explorer-radiator-swap-into-ranger.92834/

While not a tutorial, everyone in this thread gave pretty good information. And for those finding this thread in the future, I'll add my experience.

I have an 89 Bronco II manual. The radiator I installed is supposed to be for a first gen Explorer. I actually decided to go with an all aluminum radiator. I used a Liland 1164AA3R that I bought from Rock Auto. Just FYI, this radiator came with ports for an oil cooler (I think that's what they're for). However, the ports are completely separate from the radiator cooling system, so you can leave them open if you want to once you have your radiator full, as the coolant doesn't go into this part of the radiator.

As the thread mentioned, I needed a lower hose from an automatic, since I have a manual truck. The radiator installed pretty well. The posts on the bottom lined up with the holes from the stock radiator carrier. The top of the shroud bolts right into the holes provided on the radiator. The bottom holes on the radiator didn't line up with the shroud, though. Right now, the bottom is just free hanging. It doesn't seem to interfere with the fan, so I am probably just going to do a zip tie quick fix to keep it in place, and maybe later do a better installation by drilling a slot or hole.

The only issue I had is that the upper port on the radiator curves slightly to the passenger side, whereas the original was straight. This means that I had to force the upper hose to a position it wasn't supposed to go into. To do so, I had to trim some of the end of the hose off in order for it not to be completely kinked. It's actually still just slightly kinked, so I might try to frankenstein a better solution with extra hose and couplers to get rid of all kinks.

So far, it seems to keep it cooler than before, and my reservoir is still holding coolant. The whole thing took longer than I expected, but I was also doing this in an apartment parking lot on a hot day.

Editing comment to add this: I didn't removed the shroud or the fan when I did this. I unbolted the shroud and moved it back against the engine to try to do as little disassembly as possible. This worked out fine until it was time to change the lower hose. The shroud absolutely gets in the way when you are trying to remove the top hose clamp on the lower hose (mine was the screw kind) and the radiator is already installed. Double difficult with the lift and tires, as I had to do all of this while standing on a stool; it was almost impossible to get to it from underneath. It actually would have been nice to have more room to maneuver, so even though it's more work, removing both the shroud and the fan will probably make things easier when it comes time to change the lower hose. I was trying to see if I actually needed the lower hose, so I did all of this after the radiator was installed. This would probably not be an issue if the radiator isn't installed, but positioning the hose will probably be harder once it's installed.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals