• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger T5 swap speedometer

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 03 ranger edge with a 5.0 and T5 running a 97 explorer computer. The speedometer worked fine with the 4R70W trams out of the explorer but I swapped to a T5 out of a 2000 model mustang. It runs fine without any tune (just took the "check engine" light out because I couldn't get over that hurdle lol) but It doesn't have a speedo gear just a speedo sensor up by the main housing of the trans and if I plug it in it goes crazy at 3500 rpms but runs fine unplugged. Anyways I think my vss is in the rear axle (not 100%) and the trans has a sensor as well I assuming it has something to do with speedo. Does anyone know of a way I can wire this into the stock gauge cluster and make it at least close to working properly. The speed can be off just want to get it somewhat functional if I can and I don't really like my dash all crowded up with aftermarket gauges. Any ideas at all will help....also plan on swapping to an explorer 8.8 limited slip rear soon so if that helps it'll be the next focus.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Assuming 2WD.

2003 speedometer will expect a specific pulse count per mile to show accurate speed.
2000 Trans speed sensor is not outputting the same pulse count, from what you said.

1997 trans did use the same pulse count if it worked.

Google: Dakota Digital SGI-5E

These units match speed sensor pulses with speedometer's needed pulses.
Assuming this is the problem and the 2000 trans speed sensor is working like it should, used trans could just have a bad sensor

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help. It just sucks spending almost $90 for something and I don't know if it will fix the problem. I'm gonna check it out a little more after I get off today but do you know if this solution can be wired straight into the speedometer and not have to pass through the ecu at all? If it'll work I'll buy it either way I'd just like to wire something up where it's only dealing with say:speedometer, trans sensor, digital box, and possibly rear end sensor if it needs it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The rear axle speed sensor went to the ABS module where its pulse count was converted for tire size and axle ratio and was then sent to the speedometer, cruise and computer.
2003 ABS module won't have that capability.

2003 speedo wouldn't show correct speed if hooked directly to axle sensor
2003 speed sensor went to computer where pulse counts were converted for tire size and axle ratio and then sent out to speedo and cruise, although cruise doesn't need accurate speed to work, it just maintains whatever pulse count it was set to maintain.

You said the '97 trans speed sensor worked with the 2003 speedo.
So another option would be to swap tail shaft and housing on the T5 to get back the drive gear/speed sensor setup.

An email to Dakota digital with description of what you need to do should tell you if the 2000 sensor to 2003 speedo electronic conversion would work.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea, if we take the rear axle out of the scenario and just try to get from the trans vss through 97 computer to 03 speedo that's what I'm trying to figure out and really aiming for just trans vss to Dakota digital box then to speedo to eliminate going through the ecu all together. Thanks though your comments are helping me figure out the stuff I wasn't thinking about and I just emailed Dakota digital so just gotta wait and hear what they say.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
'97 computer has nothing to do with speedometer, it is an end user of the speed signal pulses, it doesn't change it or pass it on.

And in '97 I think transmission output shaft still used the drive gear just no speedo cable, Speed sensor was in it's place, still using the changeable gear to adjust to correct speed, which is why it might have worked with 2003 speedo, it was already adjusted by the gear.

Not sure what 2000 Mustang speed sensor wiring was, Rangers still had rear axle sensor in 2000, if you have a speed sensor on the 2000 Mustang trans then it most likely needed to be adjusted by module before sending it on to the speedometer, you would need to look up Mustang wiring for speed sensor.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"'97 computer has nothing to do with speedometer," that's a big help there. I also forgot to mention that the explorer trans harness has 2 plugs that both fit the T5 sensor, one of them was plugged in the auto but when I took it out I forgot which one and didn't worry about it then because I assumed it wouldn't work anyways. But If I plug one in it runs normal no speedo but when it hits 3500rpm it acts crazy like the motors cutting on and off back to back very fast so it makes everything jump and a person who's never drove it before would probably wreck. But if I plug the other one in it runs fine and speedo starts moving when I do but it goes all the way to 120mph when I'm actually at about 10mph

And if the 97 4R70W was drive gear with no cable I could try out a newer v8 version t5 that had the same setup (this part might sound stupid I just think the same year model in v8 cars had the kind of sensor you're referring to near the back of the tail housing but I could be wrong) if not I believe the 94-98 did.

The guy I sold the 4R70W to lives down the street I'll stop by tomorrow and check out the sensor and probably pull it out to see the tooth count if that's the sensor it had.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1997 Automatic would have a VSS on the tail shaft for the speedometer and computer
And it would also have an OSS(output shaft speed) sensor just for the computer.

Manual trans doesn't need OSS, just speed sensor.
The longer wire of the two connectors would be for speed, it reached to tail shaft on the 1997.

The one that starts speedo moving when vehicle does would be the right one to use, but it has way too many pulses per mile so speedo just pegs out.
That's what the modules do, they change the pulse count for accurate speed.

Dakota digital is the least expensive of these 3rd party modules.

But you may be able to find a Mustang module that can do the same thing at a wrecking yard.
You need to find out how the 2000 Mustang VSS signal was converted for use on speeometer

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks a lot man! It will be a min before I can find out for sure if it works but that was what I was thinking when the speedo worked but went to far. Ima check into the mustang sensor wiring and see what I can figure out. I'm sure I'll get it though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals