• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger T-5 swap with mustang hydraulic throw out bearing

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2003 5.0 ranger edge. I swapped in the T5 and used an older ranger master cylinder and universal slave. To use the older ranger master I had to drill holes through the firewall to mount it since the 98+ rangers master snaps into the pedal assembly itself. That lasted awhile but it finally busted through and ruined everything. I got it going by using a piece of steel plate on the inside to spread out the pressure but I'm looking for a permanent solution.
So would an 05-10 mustang hydraulic throw out bearing work on a T-5? (I'm pretty sure these year models came with the T-45)
And would it fully engage the clutch with my stock ranger master cylinder which is a 5/8 bore?
Any info is appreciated. I always try and get some answers first but usually end up diving straight in and dumping money.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I have a 2003 5.0 ranger edge. I swapped in the T5 and used an older ranger master cylinder and universal slave. To use the older ranger master I had to drill holes through the firewall to mount it since the 98+ rangers master snaps into the pedal assembly itself. That lasted awhile but it finally busted through and ruined everything. I got it going by using a piece of steel plate on the inside to spread out the pressure but I'm looking for a permanent solution.
So would an 05-10 mustang hydraulic throw out bearing work on a T-5? (I'm pretty sure these year models came with the T-45)
And would it fully engage the clutch with my stock ranger master cylinder which is a 5/8 bore?
Any info is appreciated. I always try and get some answers first but usually end up diving straight in and dumping money.
I am not sure if the Mustang hydraulic slave would work on you application. However, I used a 1999 F550 clutch master cylinder with the universal (240Z/300Z) clutch slave cylinder on my 1999 Ranger. It works perfect, has plenty of travel for the T5, and the F550 clutch master cylinder fits exactly like the OE clutch master cylinder. The hole in the pedal bracket does require a little widening but it is a easy modification.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Checked and the Mustang master is a 3/4" bore, unknown stroke. Your setock master would not have enough push to work.
Dave

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys! This was great info. I have the 280z style slave already so if the F-550 master can be made to work I would rather go that route anyways so I don't have to pull my trans once again. And it's nice being able to bleed it outside the vehicle.
But if you could do one more thing for me, could you post a part number to that master cylinder? If not it's fine I'll go check some out when I get a chance just trying to make sure I get the right one.

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Thanks guys! This was great info. I have the 280z style slave already so if the F-550 master can be made to work I would rather go that route anyways so I don't have to pull my trans once again. And it's nice being able to bleed it outside the vehicle.
But if you could do one more thing for me, could you post a part number to that master cylinder? If not it's fine I'll go check some out when I get a chance just trying to make sure I get the right one.

The clutch master cylinder and the clutch slave cylinder were both purchased from Advance Auto Parts about two months ago. They are from Perfection Performance Products, clutch master cylinder part # 350135, clutch slave cylinder part # 37493. If your fire wall and pedal bracket are both still in original condition you should be able to mount the clutch master cylinder from the 1999 F550 with only enlarging the mounting hole in the pedal bracket. It twist in and clicks into place exactly like the orginal piece. In fact it looks just like the original piece but slightly larger in diameter. Save your OE push rod as I am pretty sure the new master cylinder uses a shorter or longer piece. It will accept the push rod from the correct replacement clutch master cylinder.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man, you've probably been the most help I've gotten on this whole project and I've been driving it for over a year now lol But that's the same part number as my slave cylinder so I'm gonna get that master cylinder Friday though and I've got an extra set of pedals outside the truck I can work on so I don't have any downtime on it. ��

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Thanks man, you've probably been the most help I've gotten on this whole project and I've been driving it for over a year now lol But that's the same part number as my slave cylinder so I'm gonna get that master cylinder Friday though and I've got an extra set of pedals outside the truck I can work on so I don't have any downtime on it. ��
I have some photos and more information on my build thread of a few minor mods that help the entire clutch system use the clutch slave/master cylinder to it's full limit. I don't have a link handy but you can search for "one more 1998 V8 Ranger build" or something similar. Probably easier to search my user name. The clutch info will be in the higher pages around the same time the front brakes were done. The set up works great! Plenty of travel and no trouble getting into reverse!

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea I know man I have trouble going in 1st and reverse sometimes and have to pump it. I found the exact part number master on eBay for $45.00 gonna order it tomorrow. And I looked at your thread, I've actually looked through it before and it's awesome but a lot to go through. I haven't found the part about the clutch but I'm gonna keep looking when I get some free time. And I was wondering if you got your speedometer working with the T5 as well. Mine worked with the 4R70W but not with the t5. It's a newer model Tremec out of a 00' v6 mustang with no speedo gear just a little electric sender/plugin. I don't think I'll get anywhere with that until I get the auto tuned out of the computer I guess?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals