• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger PCM wanted w/2 blank keys

Noyz81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2 X 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Several months ago my mechanic told me my “check engine light is on because of a bad computer and the computer needs to be replaced”. I thought he was nuts because he had just sidestepped another exhaust issue and the truck seemed to be running and driving fine, until yesterday. This ‘99 ranger stopped running while driving and after having it towed home it would not start but did have spark and 55 psi at the fuel rail while cranking. My neighbor reminded me that he was left stranded years ago because of a bad PCM and thought I should pull the PCM out of my parts ranger and see if it would start. It did start but shut off after 2-3 seconds, probably due to the key not matching the PCM with the PATS. I then tried the original PCM and it started right up and did the same this morning. I now don’t trust this PCM and will be going with the advise of my mechanic and will be replacing the PCM. All places online I could find that would sell a PCM state that keys “may have to be programmed by a Ford dealer”. I’d like to do this repair without a trip to the dealership. On YouTube there’s a guy that bought a PCM for a focus and it came with two new keys that were programmed to the PCM and he just had to have them cut to match the locking cylinders. Once this “plug and play” PCM was installed, the focus fired right up with one of the new keys. Does anyone out there know where I can order a PCM with two blank PATS keys for a ‘99 Ranger? Thanks in advance for any help.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You'd be better swapping the PCM, PATS module, and ignition lock from the parts truck. That should get your the same effect.

Alternatively, if you have a laptop or Window tablet you can download ForScan for free, but an ELM327 adapter for less than $50, and program keys yourself.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1, ^^^^

1999 Ranger V6 used separate PATS module, so swapping in a new PCM wouldn't work,
PATS module(above glove box) and PCM need to be "married" so they can "talk"

Get matched/married PATS module and PCM from parts car

2001-2004 have PATS module/software inside the PCM so in those years you could swap PCM with programmed keys

Noyz81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2 X 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My parts vehicle is identical to my daily but has a manual trans while my daily driver has an automatic and I only have one coded key for that truck. Does it sound like I need a PATS, at least one key, and a new PCM ALL from another identical Ranger to make this truck run properly since I don’t have laptop computer knowledge? Thanks for the help guys

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes. If you don't have the equipment, and won't take it somewhere to get it programmed then you would need the whole system, including the lock cylinder, and at least one, but preferably two or more keys.

However, you should do some price shopping. I don't know what a matched set goes for, or how much a PATS module is going for these days, but you may find it is cheaper to get it towed to the dealer and get the system reset than to replace it whole sale.

A used PCM should be reflashed to the truck in question anyway, or you may end up with other unforseen issues caused by VIN mismatches in the various modules.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals