• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger LED Turn signal mirrors and puddle light install

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Original Poster: PlumCrazy

Difficulty: 5 out of 10

Time to install: 2-4 hrs

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation:Adding puddle lights and LED turn signals to 93+ Ranger mirrors

Tools Needed: Phillips screw driver, 11mm deep well and ratchet, multimeter, heat gun, wire cutters, strippers, crimpers, or solder gun, shrink wrap, etc for electrical connections.

Parts Needed:93+ Ranger mirrors ( power, or least the same housing)

95+ Explorer power mirror shells with puddle lights and the motors.(be sure to snip the wires and leave yourself with a few feet of wire)

Rousch Racing LED mirror glass for ThunderBolt Ed. Ranger

You will also need some wire, terminals, solder etc.

Did this few years back, so bear with me.

To remove the mirror you must pull the door panel off. It is held on by two screws under the handle and one in the rear lower corner. The handle/bezel will pop off with a firm tug. Then the whole panel will lift up and off.

Remove the three nuts holding the mirror on and unplug the power connection.

I swapped the outer housing and motors from an Exploder with puddle lights. I would have just swapped the whole deal, but the angle of the triangle peice is different between Expos and Rangers. I tapped into the door switch wiring, so they come on when ever the doors are open but not when the dome light is turned on from the dash switch.

With a firm hit from the bottom the outer housing will pop off the triangle shaped door bracket.

Stock Ranger mirror assembly

Expo outer housing popped on Ranger triangle door bracket

I also installed the mirror glass from a Thunderbolt edition Ranger with the LED turn signals behind the glass. I got them from Rousch Racing since they own all the rights and overstock parts for the Thundertbolt Ed. Ranger.

The plastic backing plate that the Signal mirror come with are made for like 03+ Rangers, so the pegs for the motors dont line up. The backing plate has to be heated with a heat gun to soften the glue, then carefully seperated and the glass must be clipped/glued onto the older backing plate. A hole has to be cut in the older backing plate to allow room for the LED indicator.

Heres the Expo housing with backing plate trimmed for LED indicator

Thunderbolt glass seperated from the backing plate

As far as wiring goes. I didn't take any pictures. But heres how I ran mine.

For the puddle lights there are a few ways to do it. I wired mine so they only come in when the door they are on is opened. I simply ran a constant power wire from a fused power source (I used a mini fuse slot in my auxiliary fuse box) and ran the ground down and tapped into the door ajar switch since it grounds out when the latch id opened.

You could also run your ground wire to the dome light ground and both your puddles will come on when either door is opened. The factory dome also has constant power and a switched ground. Normally these wires run under the carpet along the driverside door sill.

The turn signals can be tapped into in a few places. You can ground them to anything metal in the door. Then run a wire up to the appropriate signal light up front and tap into the plug there, or run the wire up to the column and splice into the wire at the multifunction switch. As far as I know Ford used the same color wires for the signals from 83-12. White/blue for right, and Green/white for left.

Depending on the year you may have to cut and splice the Explorer power mirror harness with the your Ranger plug. There is a year break somewhere they changed plug styles.

I recommend having a schematic and an understanding of basic 12v wiring and how to use a multimeter on the continuity and DC voltage settings. I also prefer solder and heat shrink for all connections so they are water tight and secure.

Last edited:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Sweet!!!!
I installed LED turn signals on my 06 mirrors and they do work as puddle liggts, but I need to have the running lamps On.

Those turn lights on the glass look awesome

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
This makes me what to put my doors back on

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Lol. This weather makes me glad I have doors.lol

-PlumCrazy

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
I need to get mine back on. That is one thing I cant do alone. Next time my father in law is over, I will put him to work holding doors :D
I want to get the truck back on the street!
However, my dually SAS has been getting most of my attention. I bought a 1990 F350 gaser as a 4x4 doner.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Was it hydroboost?

-PlumCrazy

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Plum.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals