• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ranger fuel pump wont run can jump relay and start

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Like the title says, I have a 87 ranger that i can jump the fuel pump relay under the hood ( connect the two large terminals) and it will turn the fuel pump on and start. I dont understand what is wrong. I have tried four different relays. what makes the relay switch on so i can test that.

jhammel85

I believe the Computer (EEC) does.

So you are running electric through the wire to the relay which makes it all turn on? In other words, no electric is getting to the relay at all?

Make sure the electricity leaving the relay is equal to whats going in. Put in one of your Relays and turn the key on. Probe the wire going in and get a readiing then try the wire that's leaving.

I've had relays operate but were not supplying the correct voltage out of it.

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
no the relay gets power, however the relay isnt clicking over to join the connection, causing the fuel pump to not turn on. When i jump it out i connect the relay + to the fuel pump+ where the relay is supposed to connect it. it sounds like a bad relay, however i have a hard time believing that 6+ relays are bad, even if they were from the junk yard. i have the la2 computer all wired in als0. could i have missed a connection?

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i made a little progress on this tonight. however i think i broke my fuel pump. I found that if i jump connector 22 on the computer to ground, or the tan and green wire on the relay the pump runs with the key on. i dont know what this means however.

Also my pump doesnt pump fuel when i disconect the fuel line from the front of the high pressure pump. it used to, becsue it would run, so i think i broke it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals