• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger front end swap

r1ch999999

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I didn't find anything on this, and my hopes aren't high, but here's my story. My kid wants a OBS Ford, and the Gen II Ranger fits that bill. However, my wife insists on dual airbags for his first car. I googled but didn't find any at all that looks like I could swap out the 89ish Ranger front end style onto a 95+ Ranger. Is there anything out there that I missed?

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
If you have awesome body work skills then yes. It is NOT a bolt on project. These are 2 different body styles.

FYI, airbags are a great safety feature but they haven't been around forever. Seatbelts save live too. Plus, front airbags only work if the contact is IIRC 10-15* angle on the front end to a head on collision. edit: if the sensor is not activated i.e. a hit on the frame the airbags may not go off as well.

Get the 89-92 Ranger and let your kid learn some automotive skills. Mechanical skills go far past just working on vehicles.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
what is obs? old body style?

dual airbags? is that yall's first kid?

airbags sound cool to the insurance company but the seat belt is way better. just make sure he wears his seat belt all the time and drives with his eyes moving all the time and he will be good with just the steering wheel one, or no airbag, because he will never need it (the chance of an airbag deploying accident is so slight)

my oldest was following to close and hit a lady when she suddenly braked in his 86 bmw 325e a few years back. he didn't eat the steering wheel because he sat far enough back from it that the seatbelt caught him. just make sure your kid isn't sitting with the steering wheel under his chin, also

r1ch999999

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah, I’m ok with no airbags, his mom isn’t. We’ve been in some horror accidents the last few years, all distracted drivers who hit us, so she’s looking for the safest thing out there.

Looks like he’s getting a 95+ if it’s a Ranger. Thanks for the replies.

r1ch999999

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Air bags are not supposed to replace seat belts, they are supposed to compliment them.
They are supposed to prevent Dale Earnhardt type deaths - where in a severe accident, the seatbelt holds the body safely in position, but the neck is snapped by the head moving forward (hence the HANS device now in NASCAR, F1, etc).​

The newer Rangers are wider and have a larger front crumple zone (it went from 28" in Gen 1 to 34" in Gen III), so you would need some body skills to adapt the panels. '96-7 Rangers have the better front brakes (Just saying if mom has safety concerns). I think they got the side intrusion bars, too (but that might be '98).

Lastly, air bags weren't really designed to last 20+ years - think of leaving a box of ammunition out on the dash for 20 years - shooting it could be...exciting.
Much as I have enjoyed the older Rangers, mine started in ones less than 15 years old. They still get the privilege of driving a manual and wrenching on them; they just happen to have a few of the newer safety features.​

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals