• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger frames the same?

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
in the topic "Is the Ranger on its way out?" its mentioned that they havn't really changed the frame of the ranger over the years?

Am i wrong in interpreting this as, I could take any ranger cab and bolt it to my 1990 Frame, and it would all line up? If this is true thats awesome!

That would be like"i want a new truck, but instead I'll just make my old one look new."

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I couldn't tell you for sure, but if you can fab and weld, then moving the mounts ever so slightly wouldn't be too bad. Same concept as a body lift, but more like a relocater instead of lift.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I once a mid 90's ranger on Craig's that someone had converted to look like an '07. I don't know if they swapped the cab and bed or modified just the panels...so that may be another option.

RANGER00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I Have A 2000 Two Wheel Ranger. From What "four Wheel Parts" Has Told Me, The Front End Of The Earlier Rangers (1997 Body Style) Are Not The Same As The 1998-2000, 2x4 Or 4x4 As Far As Mounting A Light Bar Or Something. But The Rear Section Is The Same On Both Body Styles.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
all i know is that when you buy cab mounts its the same part # up to 97,and the suspension is interchangable in those years.you'd have to be careful about smog and engine controls unless you also used the donors drivetrain also.or a v8 and carberator would make it easy

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the only part of the Rangers frame that has changed since it inseption is the front......this has changed to allow for the different front suspension modifications......such as TTB to SLA.....the 2wd '98+ Rangers springs going inside the bottom of the frame where the '97 and older 2wd Rangers had coil buckets...the '98+ 4wd Rangers don't have coil springs in the front where as the '97 and older do......

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They did change the length of the ext cab in the late 90's as well, I think they added about 3" of length. That would probably move the cab mounts around and possibly the stepdown in the frame for the cab to sit in.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I also believe that the width of the frame between the 2 rails was increased by about 3 total inches. I bought a '98 bumper guard for my '97 several years ago from a friend, and found out it didn't fit (still in the garage, don't wanna modify it). It was around that time that I read somewhere that it was moved outward those 3" to accommodate the new IFS suspension.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I also believe that the width of the frame between the 2 rails was increased by about 3 total inches. I bought a '98 bumper guard for my '97 several years ago from a friend, and found out it didn't fit (still in the garage, don't wanna modify it). It was around that time that I read somewhere that it was moved outward those 3" to accommodate the new IFS suspension.
The newer ones are wider (93+) than the older ones by about 3 inches, I brought a transmission crossmember home from work, which was from a '99 that I did a frame change on, and thought I could get away with swapping out my '89 crossmember, which has the outside the frame bushings on it. Well, I held it up there, and like you said, I had about 1.5 inch on either side. As for the body mounts though, I haven't a clue. I guess I'll have to measure next time I have a newer one at work.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Wow....

I once a mid 90's ranger on Craig's that someone had converted to look like an '07. I don't know if they swapped the cab and bed or modified just the panels...so that may be another option.
Changing a 3rd (93-97) gen front end to a 98+ involves changing the core support, fenders, hood, etc. No need to swap beds or the cab because they are basically the same.

I Have A 2000 Two Wheel Ranger. From What "four Wheel Parts" Has Told Me, The Front End Of The Earlier Rangers (1997 Body Style) Are Not The Same As The 1998-2000, 2x4 Or 4x4 As Far As Mounting A Light Bar Or Something. But The Rear Section Is The Same On Both Body Styles.
the ENTIRE frame is different! It may be SIMILAR in the rear, it does share the same rear hangers/shackles. But the FRONT hangers are different, and the frame is also 2 peice, the split is right at the front hangers.

all i know is that when you buy cab mounts its the same part # up to 97,and the suspension is interchangable in those years.you'd have to be careful about smog and engine controls unless you also used the donors drivetrain also.or a v8 and carberator would make it easy
Right, the frames are basically the same 83-97 other than the addition of Crumple Zones in '91, different bumper mounts in '93, and the i-beams/knuckles are different 83-88

the only part of the Rangers frame that has changed since it inseption is the front......this has changed to allow for the different front suspension modifications......such as TTB to SLA.....the 2wd '98+ Rangers springs going inside the bottom of the frame where the '97 and older 2wd Rangers had coil buckets...the '98+ 4wd Rangers don't have coil springs in the front where as the '97 and older do......
Frames aren't the same (read above), you do describe the suspensions correctly however.

They did change the length of the ext cab in the late 90's as well, I think they added about 3" of length. That would probably move the cab mounts around and possibly the stepdown in the frame for the cab to sit in.
No, they changed the standard, cab, not the extended cab. They only thing that changed on the extended cab was the addition of doors.

Its only wider ahead of the front suspension, not the entire thing.

The newer ones are wider (93+) than the older ones by about 3 inches, I brought a transmission crossmember home from work, which was from a '99 that I did a frame change on, and thought I could get away with swapping out my '89 crossmember, which has the outside the frame bushings on it. Well, I held it up there, and like you said, I had about 1.5 inch on either side. As for the body mounts though, I haven't a clue. I guess I'll have to measure next time I have a newer one at work.
Transmission crossmembers are completely different, its not the fact the frame is different widths.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so the frames are different. But now what i am confused about is the width. Did they change the width of the frame for 98? Or have they changed the width at all?
So far, as far as im concerned, this all sounds very do-able if the width is the same all the way threw, or if its close.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
:pray:The all mighty Zman.

For all I know and seen underneth the Ranger. The chassis is the same, excpet with updated versions through out its life. The rear part remains almost the same. The front end between 1998+ has been boxed further back on the frame for support of the IFS and Torsen bars. But the frame is still the same width.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Transmission crossmembers are completely different, its not the fact the frame is different widths.
Ok, it IS the fact that the frame is different widths, otherwise the 99 crossmember would hug the outside of the framerails on my 89 JUST like it did on the 99. There IS a difference in width of the two frames at the trans crossmember location. This is the only point I was trying to make.

2.3turbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I recently got a 94 ranger with no title and I have found a 84 ranger can I put the 84 cab and front clip on the 94 frame?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B3000
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Each state is different and they have different guidelines on titles and registration.

Chop Shops do this at times but doesn’t make it legal.

There is a recognized differences in repair and body swapping.

It would be wise to look at your local laws and regulations.

Most shops that do resto mods have full documentation for projects.

Ray

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals