• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Conversion Question

kcpsmurf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A friend of mine and I are in the process of installing a 5.0 liter Ford engine in a 1985 Ford Ranger. To ease the installation process we thought we would remove the front clip/core support from the truck down to the frame. After removing the old V6 we noticed that it appears that the grill and fender inner liners are spot welded together. Has anyone experienced this and if so do you have any suggestions on the best approach for removing the clip/support.:icon_confused:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was going to do this as well. I decided against it because there is like 33 spot welds or something like that. Also there are 2 bolts where it sits on the frame.

If you do it just get a spot weld cutter and go at it. I bought one for less then 20.00 then i bought some replacement cutters for 17.00. Make sure you go slow with your drill. Good Luck with it.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
lemmie know how that works out for ya, im replacing my rad support

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Been there a few times. Most times the core support on these are rotted away and need replaced. That's one thing you need to check, that will decide your plan of action. You don't "need" a spot weld cutter to remove the core support, a regulard drill bit will work too. It takes a little longer though. If you need to replace the core support the way to go is use a grinder and grind the spot welds away. This leaves the fender support with no holes so then you can either spot weld, drill holes for bolts or weld the new support on however you please. I bolt my core support on due to when I need to pull the engine I pull the core support and pull engine and trans in one shot. I can have the drivetrain gutted in about an hour this way. Check to see how rusted the one you have is, if it isn't bad just drill the spot welds and bolt it back on.

Matt

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have to ask my dad how we replaced the rad support in my old 88 BII...I think we rivited it back in...

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't use rivits. They are not nearly as strong as a bolt or a weld. Not that you would want it to happen but if you were in a crash rivits will shear quite easily. I rivited my fiberglass bedsides on because they looked cleaner than bolts. After a few weeks the rivits started breaking and eventually I bolted them on.

Matt

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't use rivits. They are not nearly as strong as a bolt or a weld. Not that you would want it to happen but if you were in a crash rivits will shear quite easily. I rivited my fiberglass bedsides on because they looked cleaner than bolts. After a few weeks the rivits started breaking and eventually I bolted them on.

Matt

I realize that. My old BII has gone the way of the junkyard now, so now worries about that for me. I'm just saying I think that's how we did it...

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
I bolt my core support on due to when I need to pull the engine I pull the core support and pull engine and trans in one shot. I can have the drivetrain gutted in about an hour this way.

What an awsome idea! I need to replace the core support on my '98. Being able to remove the core support would really help with pulling/installing the 4.6 dohc. Thanks for the great idea.:icon_thumby:

Greg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals