• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Camper

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Europe gets all the good stuff.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
We have a few here. Hard to find for sure but you can find them. I don't think any of them are that fancy though.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The US has had Ranger sized slide ins since pretty much the beginning and they still make them.

Popups are more common because both wind drag/weight is less and have a lower CG which is good for a smaller pickup. Even a F-150 can easily get overwhelmed by a hardside.

I have a copy of the "1985 Ford RV and Trailering Guide" that gives all the specs of what the Ranger could handle with what options back in the day. New versions are online.

I have a Skamper for mine, link is in my sig.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I agree most of the ones I’ve found are of the pop up variety. Only one was full height/hard side and it was the old boxy style with aluminum skin. If I were to get one, I don’t think I would want a hard side.

With only a 5’ bed on the 2019, it probably would be worth anyone’s time to make one. Pulling a camper would be the better option.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree most of the ones I’ve found are of the pop up variety. Only one was full height/hard side and it was the old boxy style with aluminum skin. If I were to get one, I don’t think I would want a hard side.

With only a 5’ bed on the 2019, it probably would be worth anyone’s time to make one. Pulling a camper would be the better option.
Actually the '19 owners manual specifically does not recomend installing a slide in. I think because the axle is clear to the front of the bed. Supercab manuals are different.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Actually the '19 owners manual specifically does not recomend installing a slide in. I think because the axle is clear to the front of the bed. Supercab manuals are different.
Makes sense to me. Not to mention the floor in the bed would be so stinking tiny. I imagine there would have to be some over hang aft to make up for that and counter balance the over hang over the cab. But we get back to the axle location....

I'll have to reread the manual. I don't remember it specifying a particular cab configuration. It may have been a blanket recommendation not to install a slide in on any model but I may be remembering things incorrectly as well.

EDIT: I can't find it, though I know I've seen it before. I'll have to do some more digging.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Speaking of...

Saw this parked at the grocery store up the street a few months ago. I think it had Switzerland plates on it. Super cool rig!

KIMG0579.JPG

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Being a longtime RV'er, and following our stuff compared to the European made products, their's are years ahead of our RV's.
Almost all their products use lightweight materials, and composites as their vehicles that tow or carry are smaller than ours in general, and their fuel costs are so much higher than ours. They try to keep stuff light.
I would take a guess that the slide in pictured weighs 500-750 lbs less than the equivalent made here. Our stuff is heavy, lots of wood, clunky interior stuff.
I don't think the Ranger pictured, or our US version would have any problem hauling it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Being a longtime RV'er, and following our stuff compared to the European made products, their's are years ahead of our RV's.
Almost all their products use lightweight materials, and composites as their vehicles that tow or carry are smaller than ours in general, and their fuel costs are so much higher than ours. They try to keep stuff light.
I would take a guess that the slide in pictured weighs 500-750 lbs less than the equivalent made here. Our stuff is heavy, lots of wood, clunky interior stuff.
I don't think the Ranger pictured, or our US version would have any problem hauling it.
My Skamper (wood frame, aluminum skin I think) is about 800lbs dry. Its a popup but I don't see that hardside being over twice as heavy unless the frame is oak with stone floor with granite countertops or something weird like that.

But I can feel mine, without a rear sway bar (which a '19 Ranger does not have from the factory) crosswinds are sketchy. Turning is best described as "different" but you get used to that. I really can not wait to see how adding a rear sway bar changed it, it is night and day different driving the empty truck.

The FWC's like the one I have shown in the back of the newer Ranger are much lighter and stronger with an aluminum frame, I don't know what they run for weight but they are lighter than mine. They are also kind of neat in that you can order a stripped shell and built it however you want. If I was to get a new one... it would be a Four Wheel Camper.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Your little Skamper is a simple base type pop-up. I was referring to the fully equipped slid-in from Europe that was pictured. It appears to be fully loaded, but from what I can see from the video, looks like its made from a fiberglass shell, which is very simple to line with insulation and an inner shell.
Stuff made here still uses construction from the 60's and 70's with framing, studs, bracing, ect.
I've seen some European rv's at shows, and it puts our products to shame, both in materials used and construction quality. I wish their products were as available as their cars are...it would put many of our rv manufacturers on notice.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I took a tour of the FWC "dealership" in Colorado - it's actually more of a small shop where they assemble the interior based on what you order... pretty cool... they are a premium product, very expensive. I think the stripped down shell was around $18,000. Construction seemed to be a step above any other RV I have seen. There is definitely more attention to detail but the materials and interior fittings are very similar.

I wish RV builders would have some incentive to produce a better product too. Instead it seems like every new RV I've been in lately has some really glaring defects - doors crooked, screws and nails visible everywhere in the trim and cabinets, holes drilled through walls and not covered up, etc. They have not changed much at all since the early 70's. I've had a few campers and an RV from before that era - they look a little dated by today's standards but the build quality was well above most new RVs today. Even my '73 Mitchell slide in camper is built pretty solid.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Growing up we had a full-size slide in camper, was grandpa’s originally. He had it in a 67 1/2 ton chevy and dad had it in a 74 3/4 ton ford. I don’t recall what it weighed but it was plenty heavy, the brand name if I recall was penguin. Took several trips to florida in it. Back then camping was pretty cheap. Then again, wasnt everything?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Capri Camper used to made a mid-size slide-in but I don't see the one with the cab overhang on their website any more. They have one where they bed is crosswise, it's not real big but I'd be okay with it. Travellight RV makes a mid-size slide-in. I would get one (if I had spare money) for a new Ranger but I'd put airbags on the rear. They're available. Any racetrack or campground I've been to had a bathhouse so I could get by without a shower. Generally I think a trailer is the more practical way to go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals