• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Ranger 1992 2.3l Camshaft sensor install please help!!

Jaron Z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
hello I’m new to the form so I apologize in advance if this has already been answered but here’s the scoop.
I just bought this 1992 ranger 2.3l manual and have been doing all the maintenance. I was already in there for water pump so I did the timing belt and now I’m running into the issue of the crankshaft pulley shearing the sensor in the middle. I have tried loosening the bolts and slowly turning the engine over by hand and it breaks every time. Sensors aren’t cheap so I’m wondering if anyone has run into the same issues or if there’s any suggestions. Could I be missing spacers? Thank you

attached is a picture of what the new sensor looks like

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've never had that problem before, only used junkyard crank sensor too, and I drilled the crank sensor bracket holes in the block myself...

If you're shearing them make sure the reluctor wheels on the crank damper hasn't been bent, there should be plenty of room for it go go roundy round... When I put a crank sensor on those I find the spot where you can see both vanes at the same time where it meets the crank sensor (if memory serves, you can have the balancer on first then slip the crank sensor in at that point too...). I've just centered by eye all the times I've done it but the thickness of a business card from the outside of the reluctor to the sensor should be sufficient.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals