• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Randomly died in the woods(1989 2.9 v6 4x4 ranger)

BearitvRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 89 ranger that randomly died while going camping, it would not immediately restart. The total trip took about an hour and a half before it died with alot of very steep inclines.

After 10 min of checking fuses and connections/grounds it restarted after finding no obvious issues. Was also getting fuel pressure at the fuel rail

The engine was running normal temperature (I have two temp gauges) oil pressure is about 40psi. No new knocks or ticks, the engine was fully rebuilt and bored last year.

Any ideas on what could cause this issue? I'm thinking possibly fuel pump or ecu over heating. Everything except the block, crankshaft, and electrical got replaced last year so I'm kind of stumped.

Attachments

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> with alot of very steep inclines

Do you happen to have the fake fuel filter - black canister near the gas tank on the driver's side? That was designed to keep fuel to the engine on inclines.It might need a filter change, though many are empty from the factory.

Though if I had to hazard a guess, I would say the in the tank pump has completely failed, the high pressure pump is doing all the work, and overheating. Which is why it is dying on steep inclines, it has too much gas to pull up that far in a 3/8" line.

You could park it on steep ramps, disconnect the line before the filter (metal canister one under driver's seat area) and see if you actually get a decent stream. You could put a rubber heater hose over it to direct it into a clear bottle. Then do the same test with the filter attached, but, disconnected on the high pressure pump side.

Listening to see if the low pressure pump turns on is only 1/2 way useful, it could still be not pumping gas.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
TFI module...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals