• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Randomly choking at 35-40 mph & 55-60 mph

Trevorrudai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The other day as I was driving, nothing out of the ordinary had been happening and out of nowhere coming out from a stop sign as I approached 35 to 40 mph, with no change in the throttle, my 2.9 l ranger randomly hesitated for approximately two to three seconds. it didn't stutter so much, but more of a just empty hesitation like it just was no longer turning power to the driveline. this would last like I said about two to three seconds with no change in the throttle and then it would just instantly regain all power to the wheels or driveline like it never happened. It does this regardless of what gear it is in and it happens like clockwork.. it will always happen at the exact same speed regardless of how much throttle you are giving EXCEPT at full throttle it will power through, though at a reduced power definitely, for the same amount of time - always two to three seconds and then power is regained like it never happened up until you reach approximately 55 to 60 mph where it will do the exact same thing. It does not do this if I lower my speed from say 50 mph down to that 35 range and then reapply throttle to speed back up it only does it from what I've noticed, when I slow the vehicle down to stopped or at least nearly stopped. Given their way it is acting and when and why I don't have an idea of where to begin. I'm going to check ignition first and spark and all that because well I just finished repairing fuel system issues which I feel confident isn't the issue because after the repairs the truck drove completely fine for a couple days. Does anybody know of a similar issues they've had that they found the solution to or is anybody have rhyme or reason on where I should begin? All help is appreciated I just really want to get my truck running back to its original performance so I don't have to sell it because it's costing me too much money at this point. I might add the fuel pump is straight wired due to the most recent feel issue that I had of the terminals that connect to the high pressure pump on the frame rail underneath the driver seat having crossed up somehow resulting in grounding out the circuit.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Try starting it and leaving it out of gear and running throttle to the postition it normally cuts out.

Sounds like a TPS took a shit. Would also be a good idea to pull codes.

Trevorrudai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
See I'm confused at how to accomplish that because like I said it doesn't matter what gear I am in it will no matter what do this at the same exact speeds. Now that being said to accomplish getting to that speed in first gear wouldn't the throttle position be completely different than if I was accomplishing getting so speed and say fourth gear? I believe that is correct which in turn would mean no specific throttle position is required or must be accomplished and order to receive those symptoms

Trevorrudai

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
However testing your theory what I did was just feather onto the throttle more and more little by little until I reached a point of those symptoms arising and the results are that once I throttle the pedal to x amount I do have a window where there's fluctuation and the amount of RPMs being present. Throttle position sensor for the win I would imagine. I am going to test right now if my multimeter will cooperate.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals