• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Random electrical clicking

RobsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
OK so in my Ranger while driving I get this weird electronic click from somewhere in the cab. It kind of sounds like when your AC compressor kicks on, but it's not that. I do think it has something to do with the venting or heating system though because... If I have the vents set on the defroster I hear the click maybe once every 15-20 seconds. If I have it on the front face vents it's maybe once every 45 seconds. If it's on the feet, it doesn't click at all. It's pretty audible; I can hear it over the radio unless it's cranked. I don't know hardly anything about electronics or relays or servos or whatever. I can wire a sound system but that's it.

The only other thing that might be of interest... The truck used to be a government vehicle, so it was wired with all sorts of stuff. It had a PA system because the speaker is still in the engine bay. There's also some kind of weird black plastic sphere with wires coming out of it in the Engine bay that's about the size of softball (never seen anything like it before). You can see all the screw holes in the plastic under radio where they had switches and PA microphone mounted.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, the clicking is pretty annoying.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well the Vents in the cab are vacuum operated
Only thing electric is the Blend Door actuator and its controlled by the TEMP knob , these are a know issue in Fords, but they usually stop working so no heat or too much heat

You can pull fuse #27(10 amp) in the cab fuse box, that powers the Blend Door actuator but also Blower relay so no fan
Just to see if that may be causing the clicking

You can get your 2007 owners manual here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/general-technical-electrical-18/ford-ranger-owner-manuals-1996-2011-models-3747/

Then pull other fuses to see if any stop the clicking noise to maybe narrow down what it is

RobsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well the Vents in the cab are vacuum operated
Only thing electric is the Blend Door actuator and its controlled by the TEMP knob , these are a know issue in Fords, but they usually stop working so no heat or too much heat

You can pull fuse #27(10 amp) in the cab fuse box, that powers the Blend Door actuator but also Blower relay so no fan
Just to see if that may be causing the clicking

You can get your 2007 owners manual here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/general-technical-electrical-18/ford-ranger-owner-manuals-1996-2011-models-3747/

Then pull other fuses to see if any stop the clicking noise to maybe narrow down what it is
Hmmm. Well everything works normally, so it’s probably not that blend door actuator. Everything works fine, there’s just an annoying ticking. I’ll have to check the fuses and see if I see anything glaringly obvious.

Mike Tonon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes mine does this. If I turn the temperature knob an inch, then put it back where it was, it’s gone for a while.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals