• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ran out of gas, now won't start

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
This isn't the first time this has happened. It runs out of gas but won't start back up after putting gas in it. Last year when I got it up and running, the first thing I changed was the fuel filter, dropped the tank, cleaned out completely, I had to install a new float system so I bought a brand new one that come as a complete unit, pump and all. I've been letting my son drive it and he has a bad habit of driving it until it's almost empty.

Today I was going to drive it to the store but it started bucking on the way, it shut off and wouldn't start back up. I put in 5 gallons of gas but it still wouldn't start. I got a can of starting fluid and got it fired up by spraying but it wouldn't continue when I stopped. I went through almost a whole can on the side of the road just to keep it running, I was hoping it would give it time to pump the fuel.

No luck, I wound up towing it.

Anyway, I can hear the fuel pump engage so I don't think that's the problem.
I understand that it's bad on the filter and the injectors to let one of these go dry, try explaining that to a teenager.

I would be surprised if the filter was dirty within a year, especially after cleaning the tank last year as thorough as I did but I guess it could have sucked something up.

Again, this is like the third or fourth time he's let it run out, sometimes it'll start back up, other times he's had to let it sit for a while and wait until it finally starts.

Today was the first time for me, after messing around for over an hour, I gotta figure this one out. Everything was level, 5 gallons should have been plenty. How and where do I start checking to see where fuel is getting to and where its not? Is there some type of switch or fuse that I can check?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Running a tank dry or nearly dry on a regular basis is not only bad for the injectors and filter, but it can also destroy a pump. In-tank pumps require being submerged so they can dissipate heat properly. Explain it to him this way: the next time he runs it out of gas, he pays the tow bill and the repair bill, he'll learn after awhile that it gets expensive.

Filters can get clogged up in as little as one bad tank of gas.

There should be a tire type valve on the fuel rail on the motor, sometimes it still has the original cap on it. Stick a rag around it and poke the valve stem with a screwdriver to see if you get gas out (if it's under pressure it's going to shoot out pretty good, thus using the rag). You can also test the fuel pressure through that port with a proper tool.

What year truck is this? Up until 1989 BIIs and Rangers used a low pressure fuel pump in the tank and a high pressure pump on the frame rail under the drivers seat. Make sure both pumps are running if it is a two pump system.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well first I'd start by checking your son's ass right before he goes out driving. Make sure his head is in it's proper spot on his shoulders and not shoved 3 feet up his colon.

The next thing I'd do is check for fuel pressure. There is a test port on the fuel rail, looks like a tire valve. The tank pump produces about 5 PSI. The frame pump boosts it to 35 to 40 PSI.

Last edited:

kirk3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
I thought that running out of gas being bad for a vehicle was common knowledge. For as long as I can remember Ive known that.
As said already, intank pumps are cooled by being submerged.

simonsays

October 2010 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On my truck if I run out of gas, with the key on I have to hold the shrater valve down to let it bleed the air out of the line before it will get pressure back. Sometimes have to hold it down for a while and have someone turn on and off the key.

sent by another dumbass using Tapatalk.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used to make my son do all the work to fix a problem like that (and foot the bill where needed), no matter how long it took. When he finally had the realization that not using his head caused a lot of extra work for him, he tended to think about things alittle more. Plus, he learned how to fix things himself, instead of relying on dad the repair man.
Get that boy out there with you. Explain what he's doing and why. He'll thank you later.

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks everybody for their responses. Biggest problem is having an idiot teenager for a son. I saw the little valve everyone was talking about so I'll check their first. The new float system is a little off, as soon as this thing is on E, that's it, It's empty. Even putting several gallons of gas in it barely moves it. It's like it get's in that area between 1/4 and E and becomes inaccurate. I've told him it's time to add gas once it get's around a quarter tank, this thing has a large wide tank and doesn't get good gas mileage. Still can't figure that one out.
I've been telling him not to let it run out of gas, all the problems it causes, even let him sit on the side of the road to teach him a lesson. Anyone got any suggestions on fixing him, be my guest and post comments. I know what I was like when I was a teen, and what they say about it all comes back around is true. I'll call my mom and dad and apologize for stuff I did out of the blue sometimes, especially letting my dad know how right he was and how much I appreciate some of the things he told me or tried to teach me at that time.
Kids.....

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you have to pull the tank again cant you just put a single pump in from a later model if you have the two pump system someone here should know. Reflecting back on how many times I calculated wrong when the needle approached E and celebrating at the pump when I actually made it. Dont bail him out he will eventually learn, It only took me about ten years I`m a quick study:)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Tell him, next time he runs out of gas because he didn't keep his eye on the gauge, he can walk to the station, walk back, drive it to the station to fill it up, drive it home, and then walk for a month.

When I started driving my gauge didn't work at all. The float had a hole in it and it always read empty. I was 19, almost 20, before I fixed it, that was almost 4 years of driving without a gauge. I'm now 25. I have only run out of gas about 4 times in my life. Three of them I knew I was low and was on my way to the station to fill up. The last one that I can remember, I was trying to run the tank down to fumes so I could drop it and replace the bad fuel pump sender.

Last edited:

Lecnam yar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I thought i was getting info on my ranger not starting not how to raise my children.

Lecnam yar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
People ru. Out of gas. It happens get over it.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I thought i was getting info on my ranger not starting not how to raise my children.
Uhhhhh you're responding to a 10 year old thread you were never a part of in the first place. Who exactly are you yelling at? :icon_confused:

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
This guy makes some very helpful videos. This one's all about in tank Ford fuel pumps. You should definitely check out his YouTube channel.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Uhhhhh you're responding to a 10 year old thread you were never a part of in the first place. Who exactly are you yelling at? :icon_confused:
Sometimes, this site needs a Dislike button as well as the Like. Because that comment about raising children certainly deserves a hearty Dislike. One site I am a member of has Like and Dislike votes.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Sometimes, this site needs a Dislike button as well as the Like. Because that comment about raising children certainly deserves a heart Dislike. One site I am a member of has Like and Dislike votes.
⚡

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals