• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radius arm and axle pivot bushings

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just finished replacing the radius arm bushings and axle pivot bushings on my 1987 ranger 4x4.
I torqued the radius arm bushing nut while the truck was jacked up, my service manual didn't specify on whether to torque it with wheels on the ground. Did I do that wrong?
Also had no way of flaring the axle pivot bushings on the backside. I tried to peen the lip over with a punch, but that wasn't working out well. Ended up making a few shitty tacks with my welder on the back hopefully they won't move?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have never changed pivot bushings, but radius arm bushings I know...

For the radius arms it doesn't matter, the nut is a lock nut and everything is tightened until it's metal on metal and stops so as long as you felt it stop and snugged it down you're good to go...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I hand tighten the radius arm nuts till they're just past snug... I think the torque spec is like 90ft/lbs or something like that... just past snug. In the air or on the ground doesn't matter.

I wouldn't worry about the lip on the pivot bushings. I just drive them in and call it good. They're sandwiched between the two tabs on the pivot brackets... they won't go anywhere.

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals