• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) radiator upgrade recommendations?

jp52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl regular cab
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Try to be nice
New guy here, poked around a little but haven't found an answer. I've got a crack in the radiator at the upper hose. Looking at replacements seems they are all plastic as well. I've found a few welded aluminum ones on Ebay (all made in china distributed by a couple different US companies I've never heard of). Anyone out there have a recommendation on a good replacement? My ranger is a 2.5, manual, no AC. Which reminds me, I'm considering salvaging an ac system out of a junkyard truck, would I need a two core radiator if I run an AC or is the stock one adequate?

Thanks

Jon

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Anything anymore is a crapshoot, I'd probably do something local that has a warranty, if you make it past the 90 days you're probably fine... plastic side tanks is just the standard anymore, nothing too bad about it...

All radiators you'll find are the automatic transmission version anymore so they're already bigger than your stock radiator which would probably put up with A/C, on my '97 I already don't have any heat output below 50F so a Lima doesn't need much...

jp52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl regular cab
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Try to be nice
Fair enough. I'll just go with whatever autozone has and see how long it lasts. Parts are so cheap for this thing.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
FWIW on my '97 like a year and a half ago I got in an accident and replaced the radiator with the NAPA special and it's doing just fine... I'm pretty sure it's the same radiator you would need...

jp52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xl regular cab
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Try to be nice
went with the only option that Autozone had. Easy installation, only two bolts plus the two screws for the fan shroud. Engine is running at a normal temp and no leaks. Antifreeze wasn't even too nasty.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals