• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Radiator Question for 5.0

YooperSteeze

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1994/1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0/4.0/4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I bought my 84 Ranger with a 302 already swapped in. The rad in there is real toasty and on its last legs, plus its tiny, looks to be out of a pinto or something. Through searching I've decided I need a radiator out of a gen 1 explorer, 4.0 auto trans. Now on to the questions. Super cooling or regular? I know super cooling is for auto trans with a/c, but I don't know which would be better. I've heard something or another about possibly having to reverse the inlet and outlet due to the direction of flow from the water pump. Is this necessary on all or just certain applications? Last question, how much do I need to cut out of the core support to make this fit? Thanks in advance for any answers, have a good day!

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
swamped 302 on one of my trucks years ago. think i got a radiator out of a 93 explorer 4.0 auto 4x4. mounting took some minor fabbing but nothin too crazy. it allways did good keepin the mild 302 cool for me. my truck was a third gen 2wd that came factory with no A/C, powersteering, and with a 4cylinder

morse johnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i used the 4.0 rad in my 5.0 swap with an electric fan..now on your concerns about the water flow for the rad i never heard that before, but once you get your core support cut out so that 4.0 rad will fit your hose connections for the rad will be normal upper hose goes to the thermostat housing and the lower hose goes to the water pump.again on the core support cut out its somewhat case by case no 2 people do there swap the same.just remember the least you cutout the easier and neater it would look on your swap. good luck

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The "super cooling" or "HD" radiator is literially twice what the regular radiator is.

What fits where depends on how your truck is setup. I run the HD Explorer radiator in the stock mounting with a pusher electric fan and a low profile flexfan. It looks pretty official unless the efan kicks on or you peak around the stock shroud and see the very non oem looking flexfan.

A lot of guys tuck whatever radiator they want under the radiator support and run puller fans... it all depends on what you want to do :dntknw:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals