• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Radiator not filling fully after draining

Kailash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
1996 ford ranger manual 4 cyl 2 wheel 2.3 L

In short I put a coolant cleaner in and drove around some and drained everything. I put the cleaner in my coolant instead of water because it’s getting cold at night.

I drained it the first time and about 2 gallons came out. Manual says 7.2 liters plus the cleaner should be about 2 gallons so that seemed fine.

then I tried to do a second quick flush with just distilled water. I was only able to fill up the radiator with one gallon. I made sure to run the engine and reved it some to try and get the engine to pull everything through and let it run for like 15 min. ( I ran the heat and it did work) The water level dropped some but I got basically one gallon into the system. I drained it and got one gallon out.

I tried this again and got the same result. 1 gallon in 1 gallon out

I also replaced both temp sensors and the heat shutoff vaulve if that could have something to do with it.

Im thinking maybe clogged radiator or water pump but im lost.

also temperature gauge is not working

Thanks

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm in the same area, if your temp gauge isn't moving that's just how it is right now, mine doesn't really move unless it's over 50F outside, I went as far as blocking off half the radiator to get any heat output (no A/C on my '97). The block won't necessarily drain by just draining the radiator, there's a block drain plug somewhere, I don't remember where. My radiator just blew in an accident a couple weeks ago and it took about 2 gallons of coolant to fill it up but it sat for most of a week... The heater core also doesn't drain when you drain the radiator, there's no real good way to get the coolant out of that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals