• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Radiator Fitting Problems

Yardbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I haven't driven my Ranger for years because it needed so much work ($$$$) but I want to get it back on the road before winter. The radiator has a slow leak from the tank/core seam that I tried to stop with some product I don't remember. No go there. I flushed the system Friday and tried to put in the radiator I got at Advance here in Denver and it didn't fit. I tried four more from Advance, Auto Zone and Napa and all of them have the same problem. The flange on the pressure cap tank that slides into the rubber cushion on the radiator support is crooked on all of them. I could force it down but that would stress the tank. Not good. Has anyone else had recent problems like this? I tried to order one from Rock Auto but they can't ship to Denver because of some sales tax issue. Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are these replacements for manual trans Ranger, most 3rd party are all automatic rads because technically they can be used in either a manual or automatic vehicle
But there can be differences

Yardbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Yes. It does have the fittings for transmission fluid. The one that's in there is also an aftermarket with the same fittings and I've had the truck for 7 years so it's at least that old. The old one fits right. It takes a bit of a trick to slide it in but it bolts up fine. I wonder if the old one could be repaired somehow. I looked in the big tank where the pressure cap is and there's no scale or gunk in it. The thing just leaks a little.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Have you considered that your core support might be tweaked making the radiators not fit? Over many heat cycles a radiator might just make itself fit the area, with so many not fitting it might be the core support... I've installed two of that style radiator in Explorers with no issues, just slid right in. On my Explorer the radiator was cracked at the support on the passenger side at the tank, it seems like a silly design, I like the previous design better...

You should be able to pull the rubber or plastic (don't remember, been a few months since I've had one out) isolators out and tweak the core support in the way it needs.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I thought of that. I laid a straight edge across the front of the replacement radiators and it's clear that the edge of all the support flanges on the passenger side are not parallel to the front and back faces of the radiator. On the old leaky one, the flange is a little off but it goes in ok. It looks to me like all of them were made in the same factory someplace in China or Thailand or where ever and just private labeled by the auto parts chains. Likely there's a common warehouse somewhere this side of the Pacific that they all buy from so the bad radiators are from the same run. I think the old one is cracked at the support flange on the driver's side or there's a leak in the tank to core gasket. Maybe I should try a massive stop leak application for a few days and then reflush. Any suggestions what to use as a temporary measure?

Yardbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I got a radiator from a radiator shop and it fits ok. The support flange on the outlet tank is a little crooked but it works. I guess the lesson here is not to buy cheap parts from chain stores.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals