• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rack for a 92 Ranger?

Nongeneric

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Where in the world can I get a rack for a 92 Ranger?! ..I feel like I've looked everywhere but I know they have to be out there.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

Steering rack?

Nongeneric

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry.. overland rack. All I find in a search is 2019-2022. Any manufacturer I've checked ... "does not fit '92 Ranger".

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Where in the world can I get a rack for a 92 Ranger?! ..I feel like I've looked everywhere but I know they have to be out there.
There was no such thing as “overlanding” and rooftop tents in 92. The manufacturers don’t see much value in making their stuff compatible back that far or researching to see if their stuff fits. So your best bet is to measure your bed sides and find a rack that is adjustable to fit those dimensions. There are probably racks that will fit. But the websites won’t say that they fit.

Otherwise, design and build your own.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Search using the term "ladder rack" or "headache rack". There are universal ladder racks for sale....

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bought a 10+ foot long ladder rack this month for a pickup, at auction, and it was well built, but, you probably could make it fit anything since the uprights were movable. I bought it to convert into a ROP cage for a lawn tractor since the metal was just the right size, but, I am sure I could easily convert it to fit a Ford Ranger. SO, I would not discount picking one up at the junkyard and modifying it.

Try seeing what you can find at American Van.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
As a reference all the beds on Rangers from '83-11 are basically the same assuming same length (no step sides in '92, so I'm ignoring these for this discussion), stake pockets should be in same place and top dimensions should be the same... the inner bed stamping was the same for all the years...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A rack is not hard to make with a sawzall, a drill and some bolts, and of course your choice of material.
But since the material world went crazy a couple years ago I'm not sure what you might find.
One I added onto an aluminum camper topper with just 4 side legs sticking up above the camper top and two cross members to carry the material. We were nearing completion of a project and I was hauling off anything worth having that they didn't want, and one load was a bunch of 10 -12 ft 2X12's that made a pretty hefty load.
BTW, this topper was on a 1980 Chevy LUV pickup, and that load of 2x12's had me going all over the road and barely making it around some corners, but that rack held it together all the way home
I made that one with small angle iron from a rack at an Ace Hardware Store, even then the prices weren't so rediculous

Another was on a 87 Ranger and I built it with a jobsite portable band saw and some structural bracing they were done with. I still have a few pieces of that in the back.

It isn't hard to come up with a rack and if you are any kind of a handyman at all, actually I am a commercial carpenter, but still it doesn't take that many skills to make a decent rack out of almost anything.
Trim it up and paint it and nobody ever need know it was an old bed frame or left over roof bracing from a warehouse and showroom roofing system

Picture it, cut it, drill it, bolt it, paint it, Load it! :D

Last edited:

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
did you ever find one that worked for you?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Get you a hacksaw and some angles, a drill and some bolts, a tape measure and some type marker and get to work. Before the day is out you could have a decent rack, and it's one of a kind! :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals