• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RaceRangers Build

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
so yeah, my dash was a bitch to get out too, and my windshield came out with a hammer, then I cut the sealant to get the bits of glass of around the edges, very interested in the cage work, external B pillar probably makes it easier to weld 360 degrees, take lots of pics

Last edited:

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
interior cage..after my buddies roll last weekend I relized i drive the truck way too fast in the rough not to have one
Ahh, I see.

Are you going to be putting the dash back in or no?

prerunin554

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
keepin the stock dash in that beezy? I can tell you right now, get the tubes as tight as you can to the bulkhead...

edit: if you want 360 welds, cut the roof off.

Attachments

Last edited:

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
on the window........ guitar string and a buddy inside.

looks great. is it a 5spd or auto?
you may need a new rearend if you haven't beefed her up yet.

Frank

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would like to keep the stock dash, we will see. I love that fiberglass dash but I dont really have the time to modify the steering colum to work.

So everything on this truck is the first and only fab I have ever attempted and building a cage is quite a bit harder than I thought lol

I have the pass side a pillar set in going through the floor. I sat under my truck for a while trying to figure out how I am going to tie it into the frame and this is what I came up with below.

I think it will be plenty strong for how light my truck.

badblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
you taking the think to gather and then dropping it threw the floor to weld?

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
some progress:

Buddys truck I used to pick up the metal, straight axle D-max. Rides really well for being so tall.

frame mount for A-pillar:

welded the body mount:

necissary liquids for the build lol

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i think you should have welded another plate on the frame where you welded the support of the A pillar. the frames on these trucks tear really easy. it wont tear just drivin around but if you roll there is a good possiblity that it will tear the frame off at the welds there. Great work so far though! is there a reason you used hot rolled steel over DOM? the hot rolled is generally weaker due to the welded seam down the middle.

By the way, whats that bracket hangin down by the rear diff on the chevy?

P.S., ill race your buddy in the chevy on or off road w/ my chevy. Ill even throw some 40s on so the tires are equal :D

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual

P.S., ill race your buddy in the chevy on or off road w/ my chevy. Ill even throw some 40s on so the tires are equal :D

ya, i dont like that chevy too much either! they found a way to turn an SAS ghetto. if theres a set of rims in the world that i hate, its those Rockstars. that bumper is way overkill and it looks unproportioned.

DOM is getting rather expensive but if there was anywhere where i thought it was absolutly necessary to spend the extra dollar, its on a cage!

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well i think you should have welded another plate on the frame where you welded the support of the A pillar. the frames on these trucks tear really easy. it wont tear just drivin around but if you roll there is a good possiblity that it will tear the frame off at the welds there. Great work so far though! is there a reason you used hot rolled steel over DOM? the hot rolled is generally weaker due to the welded seam down the middle.

Well i really wanted to plate that area but it is against the body mount so instead, I welded the body mount to the frame and welded the support to the mount. I am also going to plate between the tubes and along the frame. Hopefully all that will spread out the pressure on the frame. As far as metal goes, It was a very hard descision, I knew that I would be making a few mistakes with some bends and just couldnt stomach ruining $100 sticks. Plus this truck is super light and will probably never be raced (although I am really interested in the new 1500 class) and the last deciding factor was that I have already made the mistake of building the external B-pillar with Mild so I wasn't sure If it was was a good idea to do the rest out of a dif material.

As far as the Chevy goes, its definetally different looking and too tall but It honestly drives better than any other lifted truck I have riden in. The bracket You see is actually on the frame and its for a frear 4-link he is building for it. And it may be a tough race, he works at an engine tuning shop and he has a rediculous amount of money into the drive train.

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya, i dont like that chevy too much either! they found a way to turn an SAS ghetto. if theres a set of rims in the world that i hate, its those Rockstars. that bumper is way overkill and it looks unproportioned.

DOM is getting rather expensive but if there was anywhere where i thought it was absolutly necessary to spend the extra dollar, its on a cage!
haha well unfortunatly thats the style out here anymore. never really liked the "bro" style as some guys call it. ive always tried to stay off the beatin path.

Its not too bad here in AZ. 20 foot stick of chromo 1 3/4" .120 wall is only 50 bucks. id assume for the same thing in DOM it would be about 30-40 bucks. relitivly cheap compared to summer of 08 when steel was through the roof! lol

Last edited:

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well i really wanted to plate that area but it is against the body mount so instead, I welded the body mount to the frame and welded the support to the mount. I am also going to plate between the tubes and along the frame. Hopefully all that will spread out the pressure on the frame. As far as metal goes, It was a very hard descision, I knew that I would be making a few mistakes with some bends and just couldnt stomach ruining $100 sticks. Plus this truck is super light and will probably never be raced (although I am really interested in the new 1500 class) and the last deciding factor was that I have already made the mistake of building the external B-pillar with Mild so I wasn't sure If it was was a good idea to do the rest out of a dif material.

As far as the Chevy goes, its definetally different looking and too tall but It honestly drives better than any other lifted truck I have riden in. The bracket You see is actually on the frame and its for a frear 4-link he is building for it. And it may be a tough race, he works at an engine tuning shop and he has a rediculous amount of money into the drive train.
oh i see. that explains it. i didnt even notice you put it on the body mount. you should be better there.

oh ok, that bracket is dropped low though. mihgt cause some clearance probs. As for the race, well having EFILive (build your own tunes), built drive train (fully built trans in a week or so, gears, waaaaaaaay beefed up front end, ect), and my own personal suspension set up. it might be a race provided he doesnt throw a low fuel rail pressure code of melt down his pistons (the new LMM and LBZ duramaxs have weaker pistons then the first gen LB7 like mine). i shoudl be puttin close to 950-1000 ft lbs after the new trans goes in.

hey on a thought, you wouldnt happen to be by Fullerton CA would you? There is a shop there im takin the truck for the new trans, id like to meet up with ya if your by there

Last edited:

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
fullerton is like 4 hours south from him. its in either la county or orange county.

Stormey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
where did you get the ford decal

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals