• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

r2.8 diesel?

94longranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xlt ranger
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1994 ranger xlt i'v been messing with for years. i'm now looking into an engine swap to a cummins r2.8 this will also require a transmission replacement. i'm looking at the tremec tr4050 and since my bw1354 won't fit that'll be replaced with an atlas by advance adapter. none of this is cheap but but this is going to be my forever truck and it's better than buying new. has anyone installed the r2.8 in a ranger? i've got a 4.0 with m5 that i change gears to the lower set from a 2.3. better gearing but did nothing for reverse.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Not sure it will fit
R2.8 has these dimensions 28.3 in (h) x 25 in (w) x 25.1 in (d)
Depth/length is not an issue at 25"

The most common swap into a Ranger is a 302/5.0l V8 engine that is 21" high, 19" wide and 27" long
And it barely fits in Ranger engine bay

Height is an issue but you can do a body lift, but will need quite a few inches, can't really mount engine lower on a 4x4

Width is another one, because steering shaft will have to be moved over, maybe mount steering box outside the frame
And you would need to get rid of heater box

Google: Ranger 4BT swap

That's been done alot so maybe you will find some tips on fitment

Trans and transfer case are probably the easiest part of your build

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> none of this is cheap but but this is going to be my forever truck

Then I would skip the computer control 2.8L and go with a mechanical injector pump engine, 3 or 4 cyl Cummings. I would consider a 3" body and bed lift ad installing the batteries under the bed.

My next door neighbor had her SUV parked out in front of her house and it was almost totaled by a neighbor on the other side of my house, that left her driveway, less then 300 feet away, at the end of a cul-de-sac, and managed to go fast enough to clip the SUV and almost total both vehicles. I know the SUV suffered along the lines of $6,000, the mini-van that hit her, probably the same. The only thing forever in this earth age are death and taxes. $0.02

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I work with the ind version of these and caterpillar....well ...caterperkins may be a better description and the kubotas.

For a road truck, for sure keep the system as sold. It is incredible. From the installations I have seen in jeeps, it's a cake swap. I would be tempted to run the 4l80 with a 241 case myself.

But the nv4500 or current 4050 with a Jeep 231 or gm 241 or dhd version will save 3 grand. The 4050 is serious coin too. But NEW.

My main truck I have had almost exactly 30 years, and it's been stable with it's current platform since 08....SO.....it's been a forever truck in that regard, and I can relate.

I run a mechanical v8 idi diesel with the 4l80 and 208 ford case . It's pretty good for what it is. But the r 2.8 is next level comparatively. I never would have guessed I would have left it without a turbo this long.

But it is fiercely loyal and a pia at the same time. So careful what you wish for.

If I had to spend more then 2g to swap it. It wouldn't be a diesel.... It would have a hemi or a bigger Cummins.

15 grand into a 94 ranger? Yeah. I can justify that when my wife is not around 😅

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals