• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

R1 speedometer '92 for '98

Mrtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hi all. I've got a 1992 2wd R1.

My transmission recently went out. I found a great deal on a used R1 from 1998.

I know that '98 Rangers have a very different speedometer set up that does not go into the tail housing like the old days. I also noticed that the tail housing of the 98 did have a space for the VSS, it just wasn't completely drilled out. I thought this might mean that everything was still the same back there, there just wasn't any way to access it since it wouldn't be needed.

I decided to take the tail housing off my 1992 R1 and put it on the 1998. I thought that in doing so I'd be able to have a speedometer. I just got it all together and no deal. The speedometer isn't moving even slightly.

My question is this: What turns the colored speedometer gear? I figured it was spun by some integral part of the output that would be present in all years. Am I wrong about that? Do the older R1s have a gear in the tail housing that is only for spinning the speedo gear and is not present in models with the speedometer in the diff? In other words, can I make this work or am I out of luck? If indeed the VSS from my 1992 just wont work in my 98 transmission, is there anything else I can do to get a speedometer?

In looking at the shaft on the old transmission I see a hard plastic ring with groves in it that sits around the output shaft. Is that what drives the speedometer gear? I hate to admit it, but I have no recollection of seeing any difference between the two transmissions when I had them side by side with their tails off. If indeed that is the part, and indeed it is not present on the '98, could I swap that over fairly easily? I haven't got the heart for pulling the tail housing this moment, but I'm in a place with state inspection right now and it may by a requirement to have a speedometer.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The main/ tailshaft has to be swapped as well as the tailshaft housing.
Complete removal and disassembly of the trans is required.

I rebuilt my 94 cable speedo M5, with a 98 no speedo M5. If your old gear set and synchros were good then it's and easy swap, if not you'll have to press both gear sets off and put the 98 gear set and synchros on the 92 shaft.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Mrtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks

Well that's about as bad as it could get. Thanks for the information though. A big reason I swapped it out for a used transmission was time, and a lack of knowledge about transmissions. I didn't want to take anything apart in other words. So we'll see. I just moved to PA and I've seen on the inspection web page that you do indeed need a speedometer. Honestly right now driving on expired Texas tags sounds less painful than pulling my transmission again. Really though, of all the things I could have done wrong, overlooking this speedo issue doesn't seem like that bad of a break. Thanks man.

-M

Last edited:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The M5 is a relatively easy transmission to work on. But I do understand the PITA of just doing it.

Mrtin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The M5 is a relatively easy transmission to work on.
That's good to know. I've come across that sentiment quite a bit, though for the time being I'll just let it be. I don't like the idea of using important parts from a transmission I know was damaged due to fluid loss (particularly since I don't really know what I'm looking at), which leaves me looking for parts or another cheap used trans from the correct years. I think that any legal issues aside, I could get used to being without a speedometer or odometer. I'll be calling it quits for now and just enjoying my ability to drive.

On a side note, the new shifter came with some pretty sweet molded plastic cup holders. Cup holders for a functioning speedometer is a bizarre deal, but I guess it's one I've made.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just go get it inspected, they may not notice. If they do, ask if it'll pass with a GPS stuck to the instrument cluster.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals