• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions from a potential new Ford Ranger buyer (1986!)

ajtoole

Reaction score
I’m curious for some thoughts and advice on buying my first Ford Ranger. I’m really wanting to buy a classic Ranger, something from the mid-90s and older. I found one on Facebook Marketplace that feels promising: 1986; 2WD; 2.0L (need to confirm that); 121K miles; body, bed and frame claim to be in very good condition though the paint is a bit thin; wheels are at about 80%; timing belt done a few miles back; ready to sticker and drive (all of this according to the owner/poster). This one’s $5,500. And for reference, I live in New England and the truck has been driven in New England for its entire life. I added some pics from the original FB post as well.

From what I know, the 1986 Ranger is highly regarded and really reliable. Is that true? What should I know about a used 1986 Ranger? What should I look for? What questions do you suggest I ask? Whatever insight you all have would be appreciated!

Attachments

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Black w/Red interior looks sharp. Hard to believe interiors used to come in colors other than Black or Tan. Definatley go look at it, under it, and in it. But from the surface, it looks pretty good. Maybe you can knock $500-1,000 off, but I don't know If I would let that one get away, if I had the cash for it.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I wish I could say that sounds $teep… but I paid 3800 for a much, much less pretty truck.

That leaf sure looks flat. I’m looking at $350 min for parts for new springs all around on my 94, plus misc bushings, shocks, maybe hangers, etc. bring a wrench or screw driver and bang/jab on all the suspension hangers. They’re a critical component and after 30 yrs can rust thru and the wheels fall off.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome.

That is a sharp truck. I'm really fond of old basic trucks. Vinyl bench, rubber floor, 4 cylinder manual trans- that one checks all of my boxes.

In my opinion, a good test drive will give you a good idea of the mechanical condition- as in if it runs good and drives good. Spend time underneath it looking for major, fatal frame rot from rust, and any major fluid leaks. Since the body doesn't look eaten up in the pics, the underneath may be in acceptable condition too.

Thin paint is not bad, as opposed to a fresh and shiny paint job. Older paint makes it easier to assess body rust issues and prior bodywork. Starting with nicer, or good, sheet metal is a major plus for one that you plan on keeping.

Prices are what they are these days. Check the truck out, then you decide if it's worth it to you, for what YOU want. Keep in mind, it is getting harder to find these older Rangers these days in good, original and unmolested condition. If you do pull the trigger, get as much history from the seller that you can, before you lose that contact. Any kind of past paperwork, especially service and repair receipts, are a plus.

If the mileage is true (which may or may not be), that's very low miles for an '86.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to post them. There's good, knowledgeable people here.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If that's been in New England its whole life and has as little rust as that it deserves some respect, I hope you won't drive it in the winter.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's pretty clean, but I'd have a hard time paying that much for a 2.0L, those things have at most 70hp... if you aren't too worried about going much faster than 60 I guess that isn't a problem though... although I'm used to the olden days before the rona and things were more reasonable, and being on the west coast where there isn't any rust unless you are on the coast...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Looks awesome! Check it good and make sure the rust isn't any worse than what we see in the pictures. I would love to have that for a daily driver.

ajtoole

Reaction score
Black w/Red interior looks sharp. Hard to believe interiors used to come in colors other than Black or Tan. Definatley go look at it, under it, and in it. But from the surface, it looks pretty good. Maybe you can knock $500-1,000 off, but I don't know If I would let that one get away, if I had the cash for it.
Thanks! Love the interior as well. I'm thinking about trying to knock off some of the price given that it's one of the smaller engines/not a ton of power. Appreciate the insight!

ajtoole

Reaction score
That's pretty clean, but I'd have a hard time paying that much for a 2.0L, those things have at most 70hp... if you aren't too worried about going much faster than 60 I guess that isn't a problem though... although I'm used to the olden days before the rona and things were more reasonable, and being on the west coast where there isn't any rust unless you are on the coast...
Yeah good point about the power, I don't have to drive at maniac speeds but I don't want to be handicapped to the cruising lane. Something to consider

ajtoole

Reaction score
I wish I could say that sounds $teep… but I paid 3800 for a much, much less pretty truck.

That leaf sure looks flat. I’m looking at $350 min for parts for new springs all around on my 94, plus misc bushings, shocks, maybe hangers, etc. bring a wrench or screw driver and bang/jab on all the suspension hangers. They’re a critical component and after 30 yrs can rust thru and the wheels fall off.
Appreciate this, really good to know! I'll make sure to check the leaf springs and suspension parts, sounds like those are especially susceptible to rust. Thanks!

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Appreciate this, really good to know! I'll make sure to check the leaf springs and suspension parts, sounds like those are especially susceptible to rust. Thanks!
Don’t quote me on how important or widespread of a problem that is. That’s what some guy told me at a car show or something. It’s easy enough to do tho so might as well.

ajtoole

Reaction score
Welcome.

That is a sharp truck. I'm really fond of old basic trucks. Vinyl bench, rubber floor, 4 cylinder manual trans- that one checks all of my boxes.

In my opinion, a good test drive will give you a good idea of the mechanical condition- as in if it runs good and drives good. Spend time underneath it looking for major, fatal frame rot from rust, and any major fluid leaks. Since the body doesn't look eaten up in the pics, the underneath may be in acceptable condition too.

Thin paint is not bad, as opposed to a fresh and shiny paint job. Older paint makes it easier to assess body rust issues and prior bodywork. Starting with nicer, or good, sheet metal is a major plus for one that you plan on keeping.

Prices are what they are these days. Check the truck out, then you decide if it's worth it to you, for what YOU want. Keep in mind, it is getting harder to find these older Rangers these days in good, original and unmolested condition. If you do pull the trigger, get as much history from the seller that you can, before you lose that contact. Any kind of past paperwork, especially service and repair receipts, are a plus.

If the mileage is true (which may or may not be), that's very low miles for an '86.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to post them. There's good, knowledgeable people here.
Thanks for all this, appreciate it! I'll make sure to consider all your info when checking it out. Definitely comes down to what makes sense for me personally, but I love all the input I'm getting

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Don’t quote me on how important or widespread of a problem that is. That’s what some guy told me at a car show or something. It’s easy enough to do tho so might as well.
its more of an issue once you get out of the first gens, they went to powdercoat on the second gen and newer trucks and they seem to rot out much much faster.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
see if you can find a service bay in the area and throw it up on a lift while out for a test drive. Slip the manager a few bucks for the privledge. May save you a lot of money in the long run. If there's any leaks to be found, they're likely to be found after a few miles of driving.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I’m curious for some thoughts and advice on buying my first Ford Ranger. I’m really wanting to buy a classic Ranger, something from the mid-90s and older. I found one on Facebook Marketplace that feels promising: 1986; 2WD; 2.0L (need to confirm that); 121K miles; body, bed and frame claim to be in very good condition though the paint is a bit thin; wheels are at about 80%; timing belt done a few miles back; ready to sticker and drive (all of this according to the owner/poster). This one’s $5,500. And for reference, I live in New England and the truck has been driven in New England for its entire life. I added some pics from the original FB post as well.

From what I know, the 1986 Ranger is highly regarded and really reliable. Is that true? What should I know about a used 1986 Ranger? What should I look for? What questions do you suggest I ask? Whatever insight you all have would be appreciated!
Where in new England do u live approximately?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals