• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions for Everyone about Detonation or "Pinging"

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know that I have ever had a vehicle experience pinging.... All of my vehicles have been EFI (I know they can still ping), and have had solid controls in good shape to prevent it.

I'm just curious what it sounds like and how to make sure you don't have it.

For instance, I can tell a difference in noise on my 2.8 in the B2 when I load the engine, higher gear, locking the torque converter, pulling a hill etc.

I know a lot of that is normal as load effects engine sounds, but how do I tell if any of it is pinging?

This sewing machine of an engine makes a lot of noise compared to newer engines lol. I know it is a solid tappet engine too, so it bounds to make more noise, I just want to be sure I am not causing any harm.

Engine is running better than ever, running cooler on the temp gauge since I fixed the timing and vacuum issues. Starts right up, just don't want any pinging and want to be sure I am preventing it without any computer controls to intervene.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Kind of a hard sound to describe. If your worried about it run the fuel tank low then fill up with 93 and see if the noises change or go away

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
High-pitched buzzing.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Kind of a hard sound to describe. If your worried about it run the fuel tank low then fill up with 93 and see if the noises change or go away
That was next on my list. Papaw always ran "high test" in this thing for some reason. I don't think it will hurt anything for 1 tank.

I do believe I'm going to start running 100% gas in it for sure. I can source it in 87 or 91/93 octane in my area.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
High-pitched buzzing.
This sounds more like valve noise, not necessarily bad, it is just more pronounced under load. It is a "louder engine" by design with the solid tappet.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That was next on my list. Papaw always ran "high test" in this thing for some reason. I don't think it will hurt anything for 1 tank.

I do believe I'm going to start running 100% gas in it for sure. I can source it in 87 or 91/93 octane in my area.
It should run on 87 just fine....even with E10.

Athough pinging issues can be hard to figure out. My 2.9 pings on 87 (lightly under certain conditons) so i just put 89 or 93 in depending on temp outside anf run it.

Pinging can be caused by anything from something stupid like to much timing advance, clear to serious internal issuea like carbon buildup, flat cam, etc.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my 98 3.0 has had really bad pinging in the past, sounded like marbles in a tin can. I hear it a lot around here, people pulling away from a stop, giving it a lot of throttle, and you hear what sounds like marbles rattling around in a tin can. I've been running 93 octane in it for years, like since 2007 or so. I tried the seafoam through the brake hose, let it sit, then start it and smoke out the hood. Didn't do a frikkin thing. I am fortunate that the only station in my area that has 93 is only three miles away.

Then I did the holey hood mod, hood scoop, two small scoops directly over the filter, and two heat vents on the sides. I've been running 91 octane ever since. I tried 89 once, but still had pining at medium throttle. So I'll stay with 91 for now. I did fill it with 93 the other day, since I was there filling three containers with 93 for my bikes.

Moral of the story, 93 octane won't hurt a thing.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pinging sound is what diesel engines sound like when idling, diesels are built to withstand some pinging because thats literally how they work, the high compression ignites the diesel/air mix without a spark so it doesn't always ignite evenly.
When the mix ignites in two or more locations inside the cylinder the explosive wave fronts collide and make the "pinging/knocking" noise

In a gasoline engine it usually means the gas/air mix is lean or lower octane so the compression is igniting mix just before the spark does so you get the two explosive wave fronts and pinging
Gasoline engines are not built to withstand this and it can/will melt pistons and valves

You could try running 91 or 93 octane for a tank or two and seeing if the noise goes away that would tell you if it was pinging that you heard

Pinging will cause a spike in cylinder heat and you say temp seems to stay low, temp will go up climbing a hill, thats normal, but if it spikes too much thats an issue

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pinging sound is what diesel engines sound like when idling, diesels are built to withstand some pinging because thats literally how they work, the high compression ignites the diesel/air mix without a spark so it doesn't always ignite evenly.
When the mix ignites in two or more locations inside the cylinder the explosive wave fronts collide and make the "pinging/knocking" noise

In a gasoline engine it usually means the gas/air mix is lean or lower octane so the compression is igniting mix just before the spark does so you get the two explosive wave fronts and pinging
Gasoline engines are not built to withstand this and it can/will melt pistons and valves

You could try running 91 or 93 octane for a tank or two and seeing if the noise goes away that would tell you if it was pinging that you heard

Pinging will cause a spike in cylinder heat and you say temp seems to stay low, temp will go up climbing a hill, thats normal, but if it spikes too much thats an issue
Hi Ron, as for the operating temps, it is running "cooler" according to the gage in the dash than it was before I got timing and everything straightened out. That's what leads me to believe it is not pinging.

As much as the timing was jumping previously, I'm sure I had some pinging at that point in time. I think it is just the noise of the engine running.

I don't believe I'm lean as I adjusted the mixture screws out some since I fixed the timing.

I think what I'm hearing is just a loaded engine making power, or a little bit of lugging of the engine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well you are there we are not, lol

But "the noise" did concern you, so maybe put in some higher octane fuel and see if "the noise" changes or goes away
If its "just" engine noise then no change

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well you are there we are not, lol

But "the noise" did concern you, so maybe put in some higher octane fuel and see if "the noise" changes or goes away
If its "just" engine noise then no change

You're right lol.... It is just hard to go from driving a 2016 F150 where all I hear are turbo's whistling and tire road noise, to this beast from the 80's. Something running well from the 80's might make someone think it was going to blow up in 2020.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
If an engine is lugging, then it is more likely to ping.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If an engine is lugging, then it is more likely to ping.
Yes, it does, but do you know why?

Because its trying to provide power outside of its optimum torque range, so cylinders heat up and lower octane fuel will start to self-ignite

The 3.0l Vulcan was a typical example of this, often called a "pingy engine"
It did have a higher compression ratio but more often than not it was lugged when driving
3.0l Vulcan makes best power at 3,600rpm, so power range was 3,100-3,900 rpm
People would drive them at 2,400-3,100 rpm, which is "normal" for most engines
So lugging the engine and then also complaining about NO POWER, lol
Knuckle heads

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yes, it does, but do you know why?

Because its trying to provide power outside of its optimum torque range, so cylinders heat up and lower octane fuel will start to self-ignite

The 3.0l Vulcan was a typical example of this, often called a "pingy engine"
It did have a higher compression ratio but more often than not it was lugged when driving
3.0l Vulcan makes best power at 3,600rpm, so power range was 3,100-3,900 rpm
People would drive them at 2,400-3,100 rpm, which is "normal" for most engines
So lugging the engine and then also complaining about NO POWER, lol
Knuckle heads
People expected them to operate at more "truck like" RPMs....like the 2.9.

Also...some light ping at cruise is normal as well

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine is an automatic, but I shift it manually more often than not, to keep the rpms up. With the large three inch intake tube, it doesn't like being lugged at all. I keep OD off unless I'm at highway speeds. Same with my 4.0 Stang and Lightning.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals