• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questionable Parts

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey everyone... I have some dump trucks the family is looking to either part out or scrap.... Would anyone be able to shed some light onto whether any of this stuff is sought after by the off-roading community?

Based on the extensive pile of receipts, we believe one truck (a 1976 Ford C600) to have a Ford 361 engine, Allison AT540 transmission, and either an Eaton 17121 or Rockwell H170 full float axle.
The second (a 1978 Ford C700) to possess a Ford 391 engine and a C6 transmission. The rear axle appears similar to the C600.

If someone knows whether any of this is useful to part out, or if we're better off selling the trucks (they should still run and drive), your input would be appreciated

Here's the excerpt from the owners manual, we know it's a single speed axle and takes around 30 pints
IMG_20201114_200558.jpg

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Doubt it. While that shit is strong its also ridiculiously heavy and big and would be total overkill for any offroad application unless you were building a medium/heavy duty rig for that purpose.

The C6 might do someone some good, as the 391 (i believe) uses the FE bolt pattern so it could go behind a 390 or something.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
The mud truck guys use heavy stuff like that...Hit up the mudders...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The mud truck guys use heavy stuff like that...Hit up the mudders...
I dont know many looking for stuff quite that big....espicially with the probably 6.xx:1 ratio in it.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Alot of goofy mud guys run 2.5 ton rockwell axles. They fit regular trucks fairly well, lots of brake setups available for them, lockers and aftermarket gears are plentiful and wheels are easy to find. The front's are obviously more sought after though.

7a4121910e05c954f659f25d9e11faf7.jpg

Dunno if anyone would be interested in a rear only though, and those engines and transmission are kinda dinosaurs. The c6 may be worth a couple hundred bucks.

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds to me like they may be best off being sold as is, or scrapped.... I was really hoping to avoid having them towed to the scrapper but if they aren't worth anything, even as parts, then I suppose it'll likely end up as the only option... We've listed them for sale in the past but between the fuel economy and the age of the trucks, there hasn't been a lot of interest.

Most guys seem to either be looking for one of those little NPR trucks or a multi axle (cdl) these are one of the funny middle ground you just don't see anymore

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Alot of goofy mud guys run 2.5 ton rockwell axles. They fit regular trucks fairly well, lots of brake setups available for them, lockers and aftermarket gears are plentiful and wheels are easy to find. The front's are obviously more sought after though.

View attachment 51518

Dunno if anyone would be interested in a rear only though, and those engines and transmission are kinda dinosaurs. The c6 may be worth a couple hundred bucks.
Those axles in the trucks the OP described arnt rockwells though. Their more then likely dime a dozen eaton or possibly danas.

Sounds to me like they may be best off being sold as is, or scrapped.... I was really hoping to avoid having them towed to the scrapper but if they aren't worth anything, even as parts, then I suppose it'll likely end up as the only option... We've listed them for sale in the past but between the fuel economy and the age of the trucks, there hasn't been a lot of interest.

Most guys seem to either be looking for one of those little NPR trucks or a multi axle (cdl) these are one of the funny middle ground you just don't see anymore
Do they run and drive?

If so dont scrap them. Put them on craigslist for a little bit of nothing and someone will buy them. Hell give them away if you know someone can use them...but dont scrap them. Its not like they are making more.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I've had stuff sit on craigslist for awhile, then suddenly made someone's day.

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well we know for sure it's not a dana under the trucks... Its probably been about 8 years since they were last on the road, one was requiring a master cylinder, the other a transmission pan gasket. Instead, we filled out the fleet with a number of more fuel efficient trucks, it's not difficult to beat the 6 mpg (downhill with a tailwind) the trucks get... Capacity wise, a 8x8x20ft bed with 24k gross weight is difficult to utilize for anything except roofing.

On a side note, I suppose then if the C series is overkill, the full float axles out of the 70's F-350s would be right about the correct size? I'd doubt the engines and transmissions to even be worth researching ....we have a lot of trucks in the yard, okay? :ROFLMAO:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Well we know for sure it's not a dana under the trucks... Its probably been about 8 years since they were last on the road, one was requiring a master cylinder, the other a transmission pan gasket. Instead, we filled out the fleet with a number of more fuel efficient trucks, it's not difficult to beat the 6 mpg (downhill with a tailwind) the trucks get... Capacity wise, a 8x8x20ft bed with 24k gross weight is difficult to utilize for anything except roofing.

On a side note, I suppose then if the C series is overkill, the full float axles out of the 70's F-350s would be right about the correct size? I'd doubt the engines and transmissions to even be worth researching ....we have a lot of trucks in the yard, okay? :ROFLMAO:
Late 70s F350s should be a D60 (SRW) or D70HD (dually or cab/chassis

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Id put a dually bed on it and have a big pickup
83C8A1C9-3B3C-4144-8D61-69CA97A8AA54.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals