• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

question

armyman_333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I got an 89, gettin a 4 inch lift with 33 mudders, need more power, got the 2.9, i was told the 5.0 ford engine is the way to go, i dont want to have to change anyting like axles or tranny, just want to bolt and go, any one have any advice or suggestions. Thanks

danger_ranger05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hate to tell ya man, but you got no choice on the tranny, its gotta go or its gonna blow lol. As for axles, you should be ok. Check out the tech library, it will walk you through step by step and give you tips of what parts to look for.

Good luck if you decide the swap.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You'll still probably want to regear to make up for the extra tire size, but all depends on what you're running now. But like what was stated- you want a V8 transmission with a V8 engine. Really no way to just bolt and go unfortantely, you will run into something that will need fabricated or modified.

armyman_333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, i found a 1994 Ford Ranger xlt Pickup Truck with 2 wheel drive, its a parts truck, now am is the transmission going to fit or will the bolts not match up? How much time / do you think is involved in this swap? im getting a mechanic to do it, is it worth it or should i just keep the 2.9 litre in her?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, i found a 1994 Ford Ranger xlt Pickup Truck with 2 wheel drive, its a parts truck, now am is the transmission going to fit or will the bolts not match up? How much time / do you think is involved in this swap? im getting a mechanic to do it, is it worth it or should i just keep the 2.9 litre in her?
Most V8 transmissions will fit, but what are you planning on using? Which bolts are you wondering will match up?

Tech library says 50-70 hours. I spent a lot of time, but I installed bucket seats, new speakers, made a custom gauge cluster, etc. Not going to be a weekend deal.

Mechanic is going to cost thousands for just labor, not including parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals