• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

question on my 4x4 system

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
my question is . i replaced my transmission (a4ld):sad: last year and got another one out of an 88 bronco 2 . well my ranger has the push button 4x4 ,my 4x4 worked before the tranny went out , my replacement tranny had a manual tcase behind it but i didnt get the tcase . I been told that all i need was the shifter frm a manual tcase and thats it. but reading on here i found ill have to change it too a manual tcase . im confused . A buddy of mine said it had to do with the transmission, my old one worked with the tcase that came with the truck , the new tranny isnt working .. :dunno::icon_confused:I need help my ranger brothers

clifford97

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
honestly, :icon_confused: im not quite sure exactly what you just said..:huh: lol lemme see if i have it right and i can clarify.
your old tranny broke, got a new one w/ a manual T-case, you used your original push button T-case with the new transmission...
"how am i doing?"...
Now neither the transmission or the T-case are working??? thats where you lost me.:dunno: exactly whats not working?
btw you never actually ASKED a question..:D

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm confused too. Here is what I got;
1] your trans quit working
2] you installed a different trans and kept the old transfer case
3] your new trans isn't working
It sounds like you have a problem with the trans.... not the transfer case!

Richard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
sry guys . the new trans works fine its my tansfer case that isnt working. again sry for making you all lost . the new tranny didnt come with the manual transfer case just the bellhousing extention with the shifter . again i hope this time it makes sense .

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think that if your transfer case was working before the swap it should work after, as long as it's the same case. I'd be checking wires to see if I pinched one or forgot to connect one back up. There is pretty good info in the tech section as well.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/transfercasetroubleshooting.htm
I can't help any more than that as the only experience I have with an electric t-case is on my race truck. I didn't want to trouble shoot my electrical problems so I took the motor off and installed a 'Shiftster' as advertised on TRS.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Good luck,

Richard

edit; From my understanding, if you want a manual t-case, you have to get the whole t-case and get the shifter and rods that go with it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks Richard , I'll look at it this weekend . thanks for the help . hope i can fix it .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals