• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question on Auto Hubs before I sell them

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I took the auto hubs off my Ranger, and put manual hubs on. As man of you know, the Ranger was too small so I sold it and got an F150.

Well, these auto hubs keep staring at me when I'm in my shed - and they say "sell me". So my question is, can I bench test these to make sure they work before I send them to a new home? Manual hubs are easy as hell to check, and I really have no idea how these even activate. I got them to work, but I had an issue with one of the cams being cracked.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
before you spend all this time researching whether or not they can be tested, (btw, to answer your question, i dont know if they can or not lol) have you found a buyer for them? i cant imagine they're in high demand.

EDIT-and LMFAO at the jammer quote in your sig, very nice. no reps though

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
before you spend all this time researching whether or not they can be tested, (btw, to answer your question, i dont know if they can or not lol) have you found a buyer for them? i cant imagine they're in high demand.

EDIT-and LMFAO at the jammer quote in your sig, very nice. no reps though
No I haven't. However, they are all over Ebay being sold. I have "watched" a couple get sold. So.... somebody (dumber than us) is buying them.

I wish Jammer was around to enjoy my sig...... :D

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
oh ok, sweet. i think they're vacuum operated? so i dont know how you could test them.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
On a 96 the hubs are not vac operated.

You will have a hard time testing them without an axle to test them on.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
On a 96 the hubs are not vac operated.

You will have a hard time testing them without an axle to test them on.
That's what I was afraid of.....

I messed with them yesterday to see if I could get it to lock... that didn't go so well.

Thanks guys!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, the easiest way to test them is to install them and spin the shafts by hand. I kinda suspect my RH hub might not work on my truck.

vbrad511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As 08 posted, you pretty much have to install them. They work off of axle rotation. Most guys just pitch them after they install manuals, but I'm still running the autos on my 97. I wouldn't mind having an extra set to tinker with, just in case I ever need them...providing you've got the cams too.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
As 08 posted, you pretty much have to install them. They work off of axle rotation. Most guys just pitch them after they install manuals, but I'm still running the autos on my 97. I wouldn't mind having an extra set to tinker with, just in case I ever need them...providing you've got the cams too.
I believe I still have the cams - I will double check tonight. The only thing that I can recall having an issue is one of the retaining nuts has a little damage from the PO trying to take it off without removing the keyway. Shoot me a PM if you are interested - I can get you photos too.

OdinAF

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So.... somebody (dumber than us) is buying them.
Oh someone dumber than you huh, someone is dumb because they like not having to stop there vehicle to lock there hubs. There dumber than you because they don't have to get out in the crappy weather and lock there hubs, and they MUST be dumber than you because some situations having to stop and get out to lock them (which takes time) can permanently get a vehicle stuck in some situations, when instead they had moment and speed advantage of turning on there auto hubs.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Oh someone dumber than you huh? someone is dumb because they like not having to stop their vehicle to lock their hubs? They're dumber than you because they don't have to get out in the crappy weather and lock their hubs, and they MUST be dumber than you because some situations having to stop and get out to lock them (which takes time) can permanently get a vehicle stuck in some situations, when instead they had moment and speed advantage of turning on their auto hubs.
Sure, that's one way to look at it.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Oh someone dumber than you huh, someone is dumb because they like not having to stop there vehicle to lock there hubs. There dumber than you because they don't have to get out in the crappy weather and lock there hubs, and they MUST be dumber than you because some situations having to stop and get out to lock them (which takes time) can permanently get a vehicle stuck in some situations, when instead they had moment and speed advantage of turning on there auto hubs.
:icon_rofl:LOL! anyone who uses manual hubs and understand their truck keeps them locked full time no matter what.

The benefit of manual hubs is well they can be controlled manually so when say the transfercase motor wont disengage after you went through some water or whatnot you can just hop out and free the hubs so you can make the rest of the trip without binding on every corner you take and seizing the auto hub and wrecking your spindle.

There is a reason most guys switch from the auto hubs and its not beacuse it gives better mpg when unlocked... you dont get better mpg.

To the OP yes you pretty much have to install them to check. If they do work though you can get $40-$60 a set on craigslist or ebay.

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
ive sold several pairs on ebay, i normally sell them minus the cams, in big red letters NO CAMS but now and then a D-BAG will ask why i didnt include the cams. such is ebay, look at the pictures but dont read anything.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
What do you get out of them generally?

Sent from the can

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like someone with poor grammar just bought a set of auto hubs off of eBay? Very touchy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals