• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question for the fisherman

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I was trying to think of a good way to mount either 1 or 2 fishing poles inside of my truck. I really dont like them rolling around in the bed or toolbox. And putting them behind my seats make me leery as well because I can just imagine someone sliding the seat back and smashing them.

So what have you guys come up with for sometime like this?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
most of my fishing poles will not fit well in the cab... i would get a rack type set up that holds them against one of the bedside walls. I have seen these in boats for this purpose, they have foam on the fingers to grip the pole and hold it in place. Can't really describe it other than it is two brackets shaped like a W with the bottom of the W bolted to the side of the boat. the top portion of the W has foam and you can stick two rods in the W. the two W's are bolted about 3 feet apart to hold the rods in place.

AJ

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Something like this.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I definitely want them inside of the cab because thats basically gonna be their home since its summer time. I always take them in half anyways so they dont quite span across the whole inside.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I definitely want them inside of the cab because thats basically gonna be their home since its summer time. I always take them in half anyways so they dont quite span across the whole inside.
Oh, in that case just buy these.
http://www.autoanything.com/atv-rv-boat/69A4849A0A0.aspx?kc=ffcategory&kpid=4849-bc&k_clickid=2f311163-3b9b-1aa9-db38-000044132856&k_trackingid=274x&k_clickid=2f311163-3b9b-1aa9-db38-000044132856&k_trackingid=274x290&gclid=CNbgk9X-yLYCFQ8GnQodPj4AxA
They stick on your back window.

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Those things are awesome! I think I'm gonna try making something that will hold them closer to the ceiling first though. I dont think my seats will go back far enough with that. Still awesome though.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
We used to just take the 30.06 out of the gun rack during fishing season and stick a pole in its place. You could probably drop the 12 gauge as well and have room for two. I wouldn't take out the varmint rifle though. Never know when you might get hungry and need to shoot a rabbit.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Put a holder in the toolbox :thumbup:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Yakima roof rack, Bro!!! I put everything up there when I want to go to the beach, or park. Surboard, fishing poles, the kayak.

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
A roof rack would be convenient for some, but hardly applicable on my single cab. And again, I definitely want to mount them in the cab. I reckon ill just have to walk around my work place (Ace Hardware) and ponder some ideas.

countryboy69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
how big of poles r we talking? you could always buy a case for it, i have a 700$ orvis fly rod that came with a hollow metal tube for storage. I just take the real off and put it in the tube and im good to go. Im sure you could find a hard case and just take your reals off i mean it may lay on the floor but it will be protected and you wont reduce your visibility at all

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
A roof rack would be convenient for some, but hardly applicable on my single cab. And again, I definitely want to mount them in the cab. I reckon ill just have to walk around my work place (Ace Hardware) and ponder some ideas.
I do see single cabs with a roof rack every once in awhile. The just use one section. Some people use this with the rack system for the bed to mount a canoe or kayak. I have poles that break apart and they can fit in the cab in the back. If you have poles like this than you should have no problems putting them in the cab. You can use any type of mount that has a hanger on it and you can screw it into your cab. Google fishing pole hangers/mounts for car or truck cabs. Should find what you need there and places to buy them or get an idea what they look like and go to a harware store or a Pro Bass shop.

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The poles are collapsible so they fit along the back of the cab fine. I just dont like them on the floor. A hard case wouldnt be a terrible idea either, I would just rather not remove the reels every time. I am hoping to mount them close enough to the ceiling so it will not hinder my rear vision much, if at all.

Last edited:

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
After seeing how terrible of an idea it was to mount them on the ceiling, I did this. Works out quite well I think. With the seats all the way back they dont even touch the reel handle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals