• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question for the experienced body guys

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I’m in the middle of body working and painting my ranger. I have a gallon of evercoat feather fill g2 to spray once I’m done with the body work, So I can block sand the body as perfect as I can get it.

Once I’m done with all my sanding. Do I need to seal the feather fill with a primer sealer? Or can I basecoat over the FF?

I’m gonna be using nason single stage for my paint.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think they're all pretty cute :) ( i meant, not guys haha) I had a cousin, actually he married one of my cousins, and got into some serious paint and body, including showcar restorations. Started out simply painting airplanes, then jets. Then all kinds of cars in his garage in Dallas, had specialty dealers seeking his expertise in restoring their cars to museum quality. I saw some very high class cars there in his shop in the early 80s. I was drawing blueprints for the highrises coming up out in Los Calinas, but just lived next door. One day I was wandering through the shop and his helper was holding a waterhose, turned down low, and sanding, hand sanding with a very fine grit. Said he was "wet sanding"
That's about the only help I can offer in this conversation :)

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
This doesn't deal with the topcoat, but you might wanna read it just the same: http://www.evercoat.com/images/ePIM/original/TDS_100710_FEATHER-FILL-G2-5.2016-ENG.pdf

If it were me, I'd give the company a call. They'll know what's best without any doubt.

From looking around on Google, it does sound like you'll have to coat the G2 with a urethane primer, then a sealer.. The company also recommends that you use it over an etching primer.

Regardless of what is recommended by other people, I'd do my best to stay with one brand and one product line when choosing primers, sealers, and top/clear coat..

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This doesn't deal with the topcoat, but you might wanna read it just the same: http://www.evercoat.com/images/ePIM/original/TDS_100710_FEATHER-FILL-G2-5.2016-ENG.pdf

If it were me, I'd give the company a call. They'll know what's best without any doubt.

From looking around on Google, it does sound like you'll have to coat the G2 with a urethane primer, then a sealer.. The company also recommends that you use it over an etching primer.

Regardless of what is recommended by other people, I'd do my best to stay with one brand and one product line when choosing primers, sealers, and top/clear coat..
I normally try to as well. I’m a big evercoat and upol fan. But evercoat doesn’t make the single stage in the color I want. And neither does upol. I’m not a huge fan of the nason high build. When I used it years ago it was tough to sand. So I tend to use either slick sand or feather fill.

I did give them a call. They said I can go either way. But it make take more costs to cover the FF without a sealer. But they couldn’t confirm it.

I’ll do a test spray and see how the base lays out. If it looks splotchy then I’ll seal it.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I assume this happened in Alabama? :icon_confused:
I'd prefer you didn't assu me , He was no way related before they wed, but him and his brothers were some of the coolest fellas you'd ever know :) As well as their mom, course, I never knew their dad :D

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
the featherfill I would finish with 150-180 grit. Then I would spray a normal primer surfacer over it, finish with 400. No need to use a sealer really.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool. Thanks Z

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals