• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question for any headlight experts

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Who you calling elderly!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Call me crazy, but I have heard of some local elderly folks getting their windshields lightly tinted to help with the glare from other vehicles.

My latest truck (2016 F150) came used with a tinted windshield and I definitely don't have any issues with any glare from anyone at night.
While I like the idea you do have to watch. Some states require a medical exemption for windshield tint of any degree to be legal.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
for me, its the trucks with leveling kits. Those headlights that were pointing down, are now pointing less down and at the perfect angle to hit my door mirrors. I do a lot more city driving and there are lots of lights, so leds are not as offensive. I live in a city with a lit of college students and they all have led projector aftermarket bullcrap on just about everything from WRX's to F250 FTX's.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
While I like the idea you do have to watch. Some states require a medical exemption for windshield tint of any degree to be legal.
I understand that. It is completely illegal here in TN. But 97% of the state has no requirement for emission testing or inspections. I think only like 3 countries require it out of over 90.

I've had illegal tint for over 10 years on multiple vehicles. Police here do not waste their time enforcing it.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
for me, its the trucks with leveling kits. Those headlights that were pointing down, are now pointing less down and at the perfect angle to hit my door mirrors. I do a lot more city driving and there are lots of lights, so leds are not as offensive. I live in a city with a lit of college students and they all have led projector aftermarket bullcrap on just about everything from WRX's to F250 FTX's.
Most kids aren't intelligent enough or don't give a rat's ass to read the owners manual after installing leveling kits to know how to properly aim headlights.They're all adjustable.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Before the Ranger I commuted in a car, and since everyone must now drive something high the newer lights are awful. The newest large Ford trucks are someof the worst with those quad stacked lights. Some of the new Fiat SUVs pretending to be Jeeps are really bad too.

NHTSA used to actually regulate such things but apparently anything goes now.

People drive around with large LED offroad lightbars and don’t get pulled ovet.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I understand that. It is completely illegal here in TN. But 97% of the state has no requirement for emission testing or inspections. I think only like 3 countries require it out of over 90.

I've had illegal tint for over 10 years on multiple vehicles. Police here do not waste their time enforcing it.
Around here its only an inspection item on the windshield, and then only below the AS1 line.

Cops won't pull you over for it, but if they get you for speeding or anything else they will bust you for that too. Most of the cops I know only care if they can't see into the back seat, and won't ticket you if it's too dark, but they will make you peel it right there on the road.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Around here its only an inspection item on the windshield, and then only below the AS1 line.

Cops won't pull you over for it, but if they get you for speeding or anything else they will bust you for that too. Most of the cops I know only care if they can't see into the back seat, and won't ticket you if it's too dark, but they will make you peel it right there on the road.
See in TN, you can spray paint the back windows black if you wanted to. The legal tent requirement is only on the front windows and has to be 35% or less.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've been looking for a pair of amber fog lights and some off road lighting for my new front bumper. This may just be the way I think but... I consider fog lights to be yellow or amber... driving lights are clear. Anyway... I can't seem to find any amber fogs the aren't for off road use only. I still may buy a pair... but I certainly wouldn't wire them to my park lights with no way to turn them off without shutting my head lights off. Just doesn't make sense to me...

Just for the record... If you are driving your vehicle with the lighting system of your choice and oncoming traffic regularly flashes their high beams at you... or you have the feeling your light annoy people.... YOUR LIGHTS ARE TOO BRIGHT!!! You should really stop thinking only of yourself and your night time driving comfort and FIX IT SO WE ARE ALL SAFER AND NOT BLINDED BY YOUR LIGHTING SYSTEM!!!

I feel much better now...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wow, I didn't realize I had created such a stir here, I was only sayin.
Now I'm sayin this, I hope you guys will cut Dirtman some slack here, he's a great fella, I can see that from all the way out here in the dark.
He's the first one who tried to explain these newer light systems to me and do appreciate that.
Those tinted windows were my next rant but guess I'll just leave that go.
All your comments have been highly illuminating, hahaha, and I thank you for them, haha, carry it on :)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I don't have a problem with Dirtman… at all. But wiring in auxiliary LED driving lights in a way that does not allow relief to oncoming traffic should be re-evaluated.

I live out in farm country... every plow boy with a pick up truck and hipster with a Jeep has a couple sets of these LED lights on it... and they use them on the roads they share with others. My guess... after looking at lighting stuff for a week... probably 95 % of them are for off road use only.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals