• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about worn out auto locking hubs

Peak83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I acquired my late grandfather’s 1993 4x4 Ranger with auto locking hubs. I’ve been repairing a few minor problems, driving it back and forth to work, and after determining that the hubs are noisy and worn out, I’ve made the decision to get them fixed. Now, this truck has not had the 4x4 engaged in at least 15+ years, and I don’t plan on ever engaging it. I simply have no need in using the 4x4 on this pick up, and I know after all of these years, it probably wouldn’t work anyway. Now, this will become painfully clear that I am clueless when it comes to replacing hubs and bearings, but does replacing the wheel hub involve replacing the auto locking hubs on this truck, or are we talking about two separate parts? Second, if I have to replace the auto locking hubs, is the least expensive fix involve the so called conversion and installation of manual locking hubs? Again, I will never use the 4x4 in this truck, my primary truck is 4x4, and I’m simply keeping this truck for sentimental reasons and to commute back and forth to work. Does the fact that I will never use the 4x4 factor in to the angle of repair as well? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Fix it right, chances are you will want to use 4 wheel drive at some point and be mad at yourself for disabling it. Or the next owner will be, or someone you loan it to... you get the idea.

Those auto hubs shouldn't be making any noise with the truck in 2wd mode. Are you sure the noise isn't coming from something else? Like really, really, really sure?

My first suggestion would be to disassemble them, clean all the grease out, and lightly lubricate them with ATF. Wipe the excess grease off the wheel bearing nut/axle shaft/spindle area and reassemble. Too much grease is the #1 reason these things quit working... grease migrates outwards from the wheel bearings and they get stuck.

Second suggestion, find a set of manual hubs from a junkyard. You will need the wheel bearing nuts and washers as well to convert yours. You will also need two sizes of spindle sockets, one to take your auto hubs apart and one to disassemble the donor at the junkyard and reassemble on your truck. Very easy, very dependable, cheap conversion process.

Third suggestion if you are dead set on not fixing it the right way would be to take the guts out of your auto hubs and just put the hub body back on. They will cover up the spindle area but your 4 wheel drive will never work.

Peak83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Fix it right, chances are you will want to use 4 wheel drive at some point and be mad at yourself for disabling it. Or the next owner will be, or someone you loan it to... you get the idea.

Those auto hubs shouldn't be making any noise with the truck in 2wd mode. Are you sure the noise isn't coming from something else? Like really, really, really sure?

My first suggestion would be to disassemble them, clean all the grease out, and lightly lubricate them with ATF. Wipe the excess grease off the wheel bearing nut/axle shaft/spindle area and reassemble. Too much grease is the #1 reason these things quit working... grease migrates outwards from the wheel bearings and they get stuck.

Second suggestion, find a set of manual hubs from a junkyard. You will need the wheel bearing nuts and washers as well to convert yours. You will also need two sizes of spindle sockets, one to take your auto hubs apart and one to disassemble the donor at the junkyard and reassemble on your truck. Very easy, very dependable, cheap conversion process.

Third suggestion if you are dead set on not fixing it the right way would be to take the guts out of your auto hubs and just put the hub body back on. They will cover up the spindle area but your 4 wheel drive will never work.
thanks for the quick reply. Both wheels sound terrible when the wheel is spun by hand, and both wheels have a lot of play in them. It could be the brakes, but as loose as they are, I’m betting the bearings are shot. Do the hubs need to be replaced if the wheel bearings are bad?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Do the hubs need to be replaced if the wheel bearings are bad?
Only if something has wobbled around enough to cause damage to the hub. It would take some extreme bearing damage to do that.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
thanks for the quick reply. Both wheels sound terrible when the wheel is spun by hand, and both wheels have a lot of play in them. It could be the brakes, but as loose as they are, I’m betting the bearings are shot. Do the hubs need to be replaced if the wheel bearings are bad?
Wheel bearings most likely. Very common on our trucks. Bad upper ball joints are common too. I've never had to replace a hub because of trashed wheel bearings... spindles on the other hand!

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Agree with everyone on the bearings and keeping the 4wd system working.

killswitch21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2008
Make / Model
Ford, Honda
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I would just replace them with the Warn Manual Locking HUBs if you're sure its the hubs. (Mine was clicking when engaged and when I took it apart I found the plastic cam inside of it was broken.)
But I agree that it sounds more like a wheel bearing issue. I would recommended fixing them Asap. Mine started whining when I was across town, within 20 miles my wheel fell off. Lesson learned, Ill never drive the truck again if its making noise from the wheel bearing. I got real lucky I wasn't on the highway when it happened.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals