• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about the 2.5L

radtap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I've got a 98 ranger with the 2.5L, I want to cam it but I've learned there's an issue with valve stem size making it hard or outright impossible to fight a cam kit that'll work, is it possible to take the head off a 2.3L and use the numerous cam kits for those as the only other difference I know of besides the valve stem size is that the 2.5 is just a stroked 2.3

poondobber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have not heard of the valve stem issue. Dual plug heads are the same regardless of the the engine. There is a difference with the valves between the single plug head and the dual plug head but many of the old mustang guys use the cam followers from the dual plug heads. I think you will be fine with just the cam.

If you switch to the older style head with four plugs you will lose air flow and have to deal with check engine lights.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
To use the dual plug followers, the valve stem diameter should be taken into account. Read the details in the tech listing.

Older 2.3 Lima can use the 89-94 cam & followers, and the newer cam followers have narrow inlets for the valve stem which won't fit the older valve stem diameter. I suppose you could grind a relief to make them fit.
Any cam for a 2.3 would not be 'emissions neutral', and may cause OBD-II to gripe. The heads should be a bolt-on, the cam would work but you should take into account valve stem diameter in choosing parts. The replacement cam should flow as well or better than the 2.5 factory cam, and if not, then why buy it? If you use a dual plug ignition, you may get lights for a missing coil, but it could be left sitting there sparking to itself...
tom

You can read about cams/followers/etc here, on site:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals