• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about a bed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 98 ranger with a 4.0 V6. 297500ish miles. I'm planning a trip down to a pull-a-part in Tampa (About an hour and a half away.) I've got a pretty good shopping list while I'm there. (Ashtray, passenger seat, dipstick, seat tracks, etc) I have a warped and dented bed. So bad I can't fit a tonneau cover on correctly.

My hope is that someone know how to take a bed apart so I don't have to rent a U-Haul to get the replacement bed home. I have a small 4x8 trailer I built from harbor freight that I take to the dump and I'd rather not take it all the way there.

I'd appreciate any input.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ranger beds can't be disassembled, only cut apart and welded back together

But they are only held on by 6 torx 55 bolts and 3 screws on filler
Then unplug the rear tail light connector
Pull bed off and put replacement on

2 guys can swap beds, they are awkward but not that heavy
Wrecking yard should have no issue with leaving old bed there as they get money by weight of scrap steel

The replacement bed should fit upside down on the old bed, use 2x4s across old bed, and strap it down
Also can use stakes in the holes in bed rails to keep them lined up
Same as putting a canopy on the old bed

Heads up on tail lights
1993 thru 1999 Rangers used separate turn signal bulb/wire in tail lights, called "3 wire" system
2000 and up used combo tail lights, brake and turn shared a filament/wire, called "2 wire" system
So wiring is different

Lenses are interchangeable, so if you get a 2000 and up bed then you will need to change its wiring to the 1998 harness from the old bed, and of course use the 1998 lenses in the new bed

OR
They make trailer light converters, 3 wire to 2 wire that you could use to adapt 2000 and up lights to your 1998 wiring

Most like the look of separate turn signal bulbs

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. I think that's exactly what I needed to hear. I appreciate the advice I wouldn't have thought to line the stake holes up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals