• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Quest fo a true 7/8" bore master

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Dave what have you used that works?il be buying my setup nxt wk. im picking up my trans and t/c today. Its a 97 r2. I need a master, internal slave, and clutch line. Do u have any info as to what i should buy for clutch engagment. I sure dont want to pull this trans once its in the truck

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Time for someone to just mock up a brake master cylinder and make it work. The F series and maybe the Ranger are well over an inch in diameter from a listing I just saw.

When I bought my master cylinder, there were multiple bore sizes listed for various model years. I believe mine was from a series of model years that included 1989 non-4.0

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Newer rangers like the 01 has 5/8 master. So could i use 3/4 master pushing a 5/8 slave and get the clutch to work?all ud have to do is get 89 master and 01 slave and line. Will this work?or could i use the 97 f150 master and install it lower on clutch pedal arm pushing the matching slave?the f150 are 7/8 bore. Yes the flange is different in mounts flat. But it has fill spout like a ranger the little plastic cup mounted against firewall. The pedal might be stiffer.have u ever heard of a swap like this?would it give enough rod travel mounted low on the ranger clutch pedal arm to disengage and engage clutch???i really want to install trans once and it work.

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Teddyzee i saw urs. Its a sweet set up. But with the r2 i wnt have an external slave cylinder. Would any of the options i losted above work?

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If they made a flange to install on f150 m/c it wouldnt be a problem. Or even better a company make the 7/8 m/c for the ranger for this swap would be even better. But ive had crap for luck on finding something that would work .unless the 3/4 master will work a 5/8 slave on the r2. I just dnt have the funds to buy all the parts for testing.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dave what have you used that works?il be buying my setup nxt wk. im picking up my trans and t/c today. Its a 97 r2. I need a master, internal slave, and clutch line. Do u have any info as to what i should buy for clutch engagment. I sure dont want to pull this trans once its in the truck
I'm using the same external slave set-up as Teddy. That slave on Summit is the same part number (CMA39896) as what I bought and measures 3/4". Dorman, Wagner and Asbestos all have the same part number. Forget about you needing a 5/8" bore slave, that's for the external, interior ones are more like 1 1/8"-1 9/16". You need the slave to fit the '97' trans. RockAuto shows the Wagner CM 131853 for the '97' F-150 to have a 45/64" (.703") bore. Just use the '89' Ranger MC and have the hydraulic line fab'd up, sure that's what most do.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any updates how this turned out?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not from me all, too busy with other things now. Snowed not from here.
Dave

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I just read most of this thread, and I can't see what you are so worried about. all I can add is that I have the OEM v6 master, with a v8 chevy transmission/slave. meaning that the master/slave diameters, and throws are not even close to being mated, and it works fine.

I the pedal on mine is a bit more firm now, and I'm sure if I went the other way the pedal would be a bit more soft. so unless you are aiming for a specific level of firmness on the pedal, I say run it, drive it...enjoy it

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just read most of this thread, and I can't see what you are so worried about. all I can add is that I have the OEM v6 master, with a v8 chevy transmission/slave. meaning that the master/slave diameters, and throws are not even close to being mated, and it works fine.

I the pedal on mine is a bit more firm now, and I'm sure if I went the other way the pedal would be a bit more soft. so unless you are aiming for a specific level of firmness on the pedal, I say run it, drive it...enjoy it
My truck is currently an automatic and is slated to get an M5OD, just wanting to know what works the best since it is pretty much going to be a clean slate... no OEM master to work with already in the truck.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My truck is currently an automatic and is slated to get an M5OD, just wanting to know what works the best since it is pretty much going to be a clean slate... no OEM master to work with already in the truck.
With that trans, assume you be using the stock F-150 internal slave. The Master for that uses a ,71 dia bore, you'd be good with the '89' Ranger one. Some are using the external slave and has a different requirement.
Dave

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I might add my rig (and the master) were intended for an internal slave. and it is now running an external

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With that trans, assume you be using the stock F-150 internal slave. The Master for that uses a ,71 dia bore, you'd be good with the '89' Ranger one. Some are using the external slave and has a different requirement.
Dave
Ok, most of this was about an M5OD and had me concerned. :icon_thumby:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, most of this was about an M5OD and had me concerned. :icon_thumby:
Actually I spoke too fast, I was assuming the same stroke (1") as the Ranger MC. No idea of what the F-150 stroke is.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually I spoke too fast, I was assuming the same stroke (1") as the Ranger MC. No idea of what the F-150 stroke is.
Dave
Sure give me hope and then take it away... :icon_twisted:

For what little it is worth Rockauto shows a '93-11 Ranger using the same slave as a 93-08 F-150.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals