• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Quarterhorse for PATS and O2 delete?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If he's already got PATS, then it's pretty simple.

Bring over the PATS module from the donor truck and install it behind the glove box in place of the one he's got.
Get a copy of Forscan, an appropriate OBD2 adapter for your computer, and a Forscan license
Follow the instructions for deleting out the current keys and programming replacements (you'll need at least two physical keys to do the programming procedure).

There's a thread around here in the tech article submissions that I wrote a few years ago when I went through the same procedure on my own install.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
By the way - do you have the original Explorer exhaust available? That's what I used in my swap. I just kept the y pipe down to the cats from the Explorer and limped it over to an exhaust shop for them to run it out the back.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If he's already got PATS, then it's pretty simple.

Bring over the PATS module from the donor truck and install it behind the glove box in place of the one he's got.
Get a copy of Forscan, an appropriate OBD2 adapter for your computer, and a Forscan license
Follow the instructions for deleting out the current keys and programming replacements (you'll need at least two physical keys to do the programming procedure).

There's a thread around here in the tech article submissions that I wrote a few years ago when I went through the same procedure on my own install.
I don't think we have two keys for the truck. That might be the flaw in this plan.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That's not a big issue. You just need a blank PATS key and a locksmith to cut it for you. They don't need to program it or anything - just physically copy your key's shape onto it. If they mention anything about 'cloning' a key, make sure they understand you don't need that either. Just a straight up key cutting procedure.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
By the way - do you have the original Explorer exhaust available? That's what I used in my swap. I just kept the y pipe down to the cats from the Explorer and limped it over to an exhaust shop for them to run it out the back.
No we don't have any of the original explorer exhaust. The junk yards cut off the cats and sell them immediately when they receive the trucks.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's not a big issue. You just need a blank PATS key and a locksmith to cut it for you. They don't need to program it or anything - just physically copy your key's shape onto it. If they mention anything about 'cloning' a key, make sure they understand you don't need that either. Just a straight up key cutting procedure.

Thanks for this link this is very helpful!

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Today my son picked up the PATS key, sensor and cylinder from the explorer that the ECU came from. So we have the whole PATS system essentially, will any programming be needed if we use an these parts?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals