• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Putting Turboed 2.3 in an 87 ranger?

Wigifries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 87 ranger, 2.3 liter efi, with no powering steering, no a/c, no power brakes, just plain jane truck.

i have been looking into putting a turbo 2.3, and was just wondering how hard it would be, and how long it takes (with my dad and i)?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
are you mechanics?

easier then a 302 swap:dunno:

Wigifries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are you mechanics?

easier then a 302 swap:dunno:
I am not a mechanic, i am 16, but me and my dad are for the most part mechanically savvy! yeah ive heard its cheaper too than a 302 swap!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i would agree with that....a turbo 4 whizzer makes more sense then a v8 these days.

i rebuilt my first automotive engine when i was 12. relentlessly obsessed and constantly tuning a 340 at 16.

Last edited:

Wigifries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would agree with that....a turbo 4 whizzer makes more sense then a v8 these days.

i rebuilt my first automotive engine when i was 12. relentlessly obsessed and constantly tuning a 340 at 16.

Haha yeah, engines and cars are so fascinating i am always ready to learn anything i possibly can about them!

But do you know if me not have power breaks, power steering, and a/c will change the swap at all? or will it actually make it easier, since there are less things to worry about?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i like power brakes and steering and ac.

but less is more for hot rods...so i wouldnt worry about it...brakes though should always be improved when power goes up.

Wigifries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i like power brakes and steering and ac.

but less is more for hot rods...so i wouldnt worry about it...brakes though should always be improved when power goes up.

Very true! I know it has front disc and drum in the rear, so i think for now ill be good!

John Smith

Reaction score
you might keep an eye out for

a little beefier trannie...at least an m50 5spd..unless of course you can score a turbo coupe package with a t-5 ...
I have an 87 ranger, 2.3 liter efi, with no powering steering, no a/c, no power brakes, just plain jane truck.

i have been looking into putting a turbo 2.3, and was just wondering how hard it would be, and how long it takes (with my dad and i)?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Wigifries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a little beefier trannie...at least an m50 5spd..unless of course you can score a turbo coupe package with a t-5 ...
Well there is a guy on craigslist selling a t-5 for 250 or 275... is that a good price? then there is also another guy selling a complete 2.3 turbo for like 400 ish! so i don't think those are bad prices at all!

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well there is a guy on craigslist selling a t-5 for 250 or 275... is that a good price? then there is also another guy selling a complete 2.3 turbo for like 400 ish! so i don't think those are bad prices at all!
If the turbo motor is in good running condition, that is a good price. The t-5 seems a bit overpriced, I paid $175 for my first t-5 three years ago and $200 for my second this summer.

Your truck sounds like mine was. No AC, PS, and all that makes it a lot easier to work on. I did go to power brakes though. It was cheap and relatively easy. The brake pedal arm has to be modified slightly to work with power brakes.

kaytbugsdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
My truck started the same way yours did..... I added power steering to mine by taking the pump, bracket, and gearbox with hoses from another ranger. I did the turbo swap after that..... Still using the TK5 from the ranger. Also have 245/45r17 tires in the rear with a 4.10 limited slip rear end, haven't killed the trans yet, and I beat on it quite regularly at the track!!!!

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My truck started the same way yours did..... I added power steering to mine by taking the pump, bracket, and gearbox with hoses from another ranger. I did the turbo swap after that..... Still using the TK5 from the ranger. Also have 245/45r17 tires in the rear with a 4.10 limited slip rear end, haven't killed the trans yet, and I beat on it quite regularly at the track!!!!
ha, lol, sorry man i just noticed ur location lol, antelope cali huh, i used to live out there on McClellan

bh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
cool
I'm doing the same thing to my 86. mine has ac though and looks like I'll have to dich it. I've already swapped in the turbo engine but left the turbo off for now till I smog it. The ranger mounts and brackets bolted right up, the blocks are 99% the same.
I think 86 and 87 have the same computer wiring and the only re-pinning I've found so far for swapping in a la3 ecu is you have to take out the wires for the egr and add some for the vam. All the others seem to be the same. without ac you can notch the heater box like the v8 guys do and have an exhaust shop weld in a o2 sensor bung pointing to the side or down. that's about all you have to do for a basic swap.
pretty easy way to dubble your hp!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals