• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Putting 2wd at stock 4wd height

BackwoodsSaint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Dunno if this is better in the pre-runner or not but figured it'd be ok in a 2wd lift forum- I have a 1996 Ranger xlt extended cab 2wd that I'd like to bring up to stock 4wd height, i'd like to get a little more ground clearance out of it but i don't really wanna put the money in for a suspension lift, i'm fine with a body lift, my big thing right now is budget, i'd like to keep it below $500- how many inches of lift do i need to put on it and where's the best place to get quality and inexpensive kits? I currently have a broken shackle in the back so i need to replace those anyways
thanks

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put 2008 4wd leafs in the back of my 1994 2wd truck when I re-did the spring mounts.

The 4wd leafs have an extra leaf as well as a lift block. I did not use the lift block, but if you want taller, that's the way to do it. I did use the 4wd leafs with the extra one.

As for the front, I have no idea, as I left the front alone.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Dunno if this is better in the pre-runner or not but figured it'd be ok in a 2wd lift forum- I have a 1996 Ranger xlt extended cab 2wd that I'd like to bring up to stock 4wd height, i'd like to get a little more ground clearance out of it but i don't really wanna put the money in for a suspension lift, i'm fine with a body lift, my big thing right now is budget, i'd like to keep it below $500- how many inches of lift do i need to put on it and where's the best place to get quality and inexpensive kits? I currently have a broken shackle in the back so i need to replace those anyways
thanks
Do you have coil springs? If you do, then the easy thing to do is just add taller coils (Ebay where I got mine from). Add the add-a-leaf rear leaf springs and you have a nice looking truck. Took me and a buddy about 2-3 hours to do the work on my Ranger. When you get it lifted you should run to an alignment shop to check the alignment out. Not a lot of money for the parts. Now, you can make a choice on the size coils you want to add. If you go over 2 inches you really should get an alignment. You can also add the coil spring spacers as well to spend a bit less money. Search Ebay for lift kits for your year ranger.

hdmm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2" Coil spacer kit for the front, add-a-leaf kit for the rear, all done and for under $200

Or do it right and get the Rough Country 4" suspension kit. Comes with everything you need including new shocks, got mine for under $500 to my door.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
The rough country lift runs just under 500 of you look in the right places mine came out to 490 shipped to my door with everything I needed, minus tools of course. That netted me 4in of suspension lift which I think it's close to or just above 4x4 height.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals